One Example of Where Starpoints are More Than Double the Value of Marriott Rewards Points
I n this promotion where you can earn 20 percent more Etihad Guest miles when converting from partner currencies through Monday, October 31, 2016 is one example of where Starpoints are more than double the value of Marriott Rewards points — but an explanation of the details of the promotion is needed in order to provide an illustration of that point.
Earn 20 Percent More Etihad Guest Miles When Converting From Partner Currencies
All you need to do is select from your choice of 16 points conversion partners consisting of:
- Accor Hotels — Two Le Club AccorHotels points = one Etihad Guest mile
- ADCB — 30,000 TouchPoints = 2,000 Etihad Guest miles
- Radisson Blu — Ten Gold Points = one Etihad Guest mile
- Citibank — Starting at one point = one Etihad Guest mile
- Emirates Islamic Bank — 14,000 EIB Choice points = 1,500 Etihad Guest miles
- Heathrow Rewards — One Heathrow Reward Point = one Etihad Guest mile
- Hilton HHonors — Ten Hilton HHonors points = one Etihad Guest mile
- American Express — Starting at one point = one Etihad Guest mile; but this offer is only available in the United States and Saudi Arabia
- Hyatt Hotels — 2.5 Gold Passport Points = one Etihad Guest mile
- InterContinental Hotels Group — Five IHG Rewards Club points = one Etihad Guest mile
- Joyalukkas — Eight Golden Rewards Points = one Etihad Guest mile
- Marriott Rewards — 10,000 Rewards points = 1,500 Etihad Guest miles
- NBAD — 100 points = 16 Etihad Guest miles
- Shangri-La — One Golden Circle Award Points = one Etihad Guest mile
- Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide — One Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoint = one Etihad Guest mile
- Boubyan Bank — 34 Boubyan Select points = 5,000 Etihad Guest miles
Starpoints are More Than Double the Value of Marriott Rewards Points
When the acquisition of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide by Marriott International was completed, members of both frequent guest loyalty programs were — and are still — able to link their accounts and transfer points freely between accounts at a ratio of three Marriott Rewards points to one Starpoint; and vice versa.
If you have both a Marriott Rewards account and a Starwood Preferred Guest account and are interested in acquiring Etihad Guest miles with a bonus of 20 percent, there is a small opportunity of sorts: 10,000 Marriott Rewards points will convert to 1,500 Etihad Guest miles; while one Starpoint will convert to one Etihad Guest mile. If you link your Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest accounts, you will get one Starpoint for every three Marriott Rewards points transferred — meaning that 9,000 Marriott Rewards points transferred to 3,000 Starpoints will get you 3,000 Etihad Guest miles as opposed to 10,000 Marriott Rewards points getting you only 1,500 Etihad Guest miles…
…and that does not even include the 5,000 bonus Starpoints for every 20,000 you transfer at a time to a frequent flier loyalty program such as Etihad Guest.
Select Terms and Conditions
The promotion is applicable for any member who converts his or her points from a qualifying partner loyalty program to Etihad Guest Miles. The eligibility of the bonus miles for a specific member will be done based on the validity of the promotion and the date of conversion provided by the partner for that respective member. You must have a valid Etihad Guest frequent flier loyalty program membership number — which is required — to successfully perform the conversion. You will be responsible for quoting the correct Etihad Guest membership number to the participating conversion partners for the conversion activity.
This offer cannot be combined with any other conversion offer.
Bonus Etihad Guest Miles earned during this promotion will be added to your Etihad Guest membership account within 15 days of the end date of the promotion.
Once the miles transfer request is initiated, it cannot be reversed.
If you hold credit cards or hotel frequent guest loyalty program cards of different banks and hotels and convert the rewards points to Etihad Guest Miles under this promotion, then the number of bonus Etihad Guest miles you will earn will reflect separately in your account for each partner.
Bonus Etihad Guest miles will not be calculated on retroactive basis under any circumstances — for example, credit card or hotel reward points converted to Etihad Guest miles and posted into the membership account during the promotion period — but if the conversion request was placed outside the promotion period, it will not qualify for the bonus miles promotion.
Non participation points conversion partners which are excluded from this promotion include:
- American Express Membership Rewards in all regions except in the United States and Saudi Arabia
- Etisalat Rewards
- Flybuys Rewards
Other terms and conditions apply.
Of course, the assumption that Etihad Guest miles are more valuable than Starpoints is arguable based on your preferences and requirements — and I personally do not intend on converting any eligible currency which I currently have into Etihad Guest miles…
…but if you really need Etihad Guest miles and you value them over the loyalty program points of the 16 aforementioned partners, then now is the time to consider converting those points so that you may take advantage of the bonus of 20 percent being offered in this promotion.
Have you found other examples of where Starpoints are clearly worth more than Marriott Rewards points — or vice versa? If so, please post them in the Comments section below, as I would like to compile them into one article so that you can have ready access to information in one place which will benefit you in getting the most value out of the points from either frequent guest loyalty program.
Photograph ©2015 by Brian Cohen.