Airlines Cancel Thousands of Flights From Canada to Florida; Snow Area Expanded
I t is currently snowing in portions of the Atlanta area, where the forecast originally called for rain; and if you are awaiting a flight out of the international airport which serves its greater metropolitan area, your flight has a good chance of being delayed…
Airlines Cancel Thousands of Flights From Canada to Florida
…but if you are in airports which serve the greater metropolitan areas of such cities as Philadelphia or Charlotte, do not even bother to check the status of your flights for Saturday, January 23, 2016, as most or all flights from these airports have already been canceled.
Flights have also already been canceled in many airports — such as those which serve the greater metropolitan areas of Pittsburgh, Chattanooga, Toronto, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New York, Chicago, and even as far south as West Palm Beach, where wind chills can dip as cold as in the 30s with temperatures as low as 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Washington, D.C. area is expecting blizzard conditions which could dump as much as three feet of snow in some areas. States of emergencies have officially been declared in states such as Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Discussions Pertaining to This Winter Storm
FlyerTalk members who planned on traveling through the middle of this week will definitely be affected, as evidenced in the following discussions listed below — with more discussions expected to be launched in additional forums:
- Winter Storm Advisory: Heavy snow may affect travel to or from WAS, NYC, PHL Jan 2016 Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum
- Delta Free Changes for snow storm? Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
- Mid-Atlantic / Northeast weather waiver issued: Jan. 22-24, 2016 United Airlines | MileagePlus forum
- Current Storm (1/22) Causing Cancellations One Week from Now (1/29) United Airlines | MileagePlus forum
- Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR American Airlines | AAdvantage forum
- Weather travel waiver for northeast this weekend Qatar Airways | Privilege Club forum
- NJ.com: Airlines cancel more than 800 flights as storm approaches Travel News forum
- Storm question Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards forum
Your best bet is to consider not traveling for the next two days or so, as thousands of flights operated by airlines based both within and outside the United States have already been delayed or cancelled for today and tomorrow; but expect delays and possible cancellations of flights even though neither the origination or destination airports may not be directly affected by the inclement weather.
Also expect ground transportation — such as roadways and train systems — to be inoperable or be of limited use during this winter storm.
If you have travel planned, call the airline operating your flight — as well as the hotel property where your room is located and rental car facility — for the latest updates and to find out all of the options available to you.
I hope that you will remain safe and warm during this winter weather event.
Travel waivers are being offered by airlines — including but not limited to the following: