Stand Up To Cancer and Get Miles With American Airlines
T hrough Friday, April 15, 2016 at 11:59 in the evening Central Daylight Time, you will receive 25 American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program miles for every dollar you donate to a new collaboration with Stand Up To Cancer — and the minimum donation is $25.00, meaning that you will earn a minimum of 625 AAdvantage miles.
For the purpose of charitable deductions, each mile is valued at three cents per mile. The mileage cap for a 12-month period is 600,000 American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program miles. Donations can only be accepted in United States dollars; and donations made in connection with AAdvantage bonus miles program are not refundable.
Other terms and conditions apply.
Stand Up To Cancer
Stand Up To Cancer is an initiative whose mission is to accelerate groundbreaking research to fight the disease which has claimed so many lives; and significant progress has already occurred in helping to end cancer as we know it. Its model has brought together greater than 1,100 cancer researchers in the United States and around the world who are actively working together — rather than competing with each other — to get new therapies to patients quickly, saving lives.
The unique funding model of Stand Up To Cancer — developed with the help of prominent cancer researchers — encourages collaboration and innovation through two new types of scientific grants:
- Dream Team grants are awarded to multi-institutional groups of scientists who work collaboratively — rather than competitively — to develop new treatments quickly in order to save lives now.
- Innovative Research Grants support groundbreaking cancer research projects that are high-risk but could also be high-impact, and have the potential to significantly affect patient care.
Sobering Cancer Statistics
The sobering fact is that cancer will likely affect you personally:
- Approximately 33 percent of women and 50 percent of men in the United States will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetimes
- Cancer claims the lives of more than 1,600 people every day in the United States — at a rate of greater than one person per minute.
- Cancer claimed the lives of greater than 589,000 Americans and eight million people worldwide in 2015 alone.
I have lost various loved ones to cancer — perhaps one day, I may tell you my personal experiences, if you are interested — and although this initiative is too late for them, it can still potentially save the lives of thousands of other people who are affected by this dreaded disease…
…and in the process, you can earn some American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program miles.