Will 2015 Be a Happy New Year For You?
T his is the time of year in which members of both FlyerTalk and Milepoint have mixed feelings: those who have achieved elite level status in frequent travel loyalty programs are thrilled or pleased that they have at least another year to enjoy that status; while others dread checking their frequent travel loyalty program accounts on January 1 to see that big “goose egg” which indicates that it is yet time again to start over in working to earn and achieve elite level status for yet another year…
…especially when adding insult to injury is that for many people, it will be significantly more difficult to accumulate Delta Air Lines SkyMiles — unless you spend a lot of money on flights — starting tomorrow, January 1, 2015.
At least the new revenue-based policy does not take effect until March 1, 2015 with the United Airlines MileagePlus frequent flier loyalty program — not that its members are exactly universally happy about that, either.
Confusion still reigns pertaining to how frequent travel loyalty program miles and points are credited while traveling starting in December and completing in Janaury, as evidenced by the following discussions on FlyerTalk:
- Rental going into Jan 2, will all the days post to the new year? National | Emerald Club forum
- New Year’s Eve Stays, December 31 to January 1: Credit to Which Year? Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum
- New year – when does the status downgrade happen? InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador forum
…and although I have stated in the past that I do not believe in posting a retrospective article at the end of each year, it does seem that — as with 2013 — the year 2014 has generally been unkind to the frequent traveler overall with perceived devaluations, reduced award opportunities, an increased amount of frequent travel loyalty program miles and points need to be redeemed for the same awards, increasingly restrictive policies, and more complicated rules; and that trend shows no signs of slowing down.
I never did like the massive wave of retrospectives that many other weblogs, news sources, television programs and Internet web sites like to run. In that vein, there will be no “best of 2014” by me here at The Gate. I never really understood the purpose of such retrospectives, as to me they are like those television programs which usually have at least one episode per year where it is considered a new episode but contains mostly clippings of previously-viewed episodes in an attempt to loosely tie together a story. They are called clip shows. Unless there is a good reason for it, I do not ever want to see The Gate emulate a “clip show.”
In the meantime, here are some discussions about the new year which FlyerTalk and Milepoint members are posting their comments:
- Bah! Humbug! Would you rather spend New Year’s Eve on a BA flight than on the ground? British Airways | Executive Club forum
- Happy New Year! SAS | EuroBonus forum
- Merry X-mas and Happy New Year! Finnair | Finnair Plus forum
- All the best in 2015 to all who fly AC! Air Canada | Aeroplan forum
- New Zealand for the new year Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
- Baltimore New Year’s Eve Marriott and Ritz-Carlton | Rewards forum
- New Year’s Eve in Delhi India forum
- New Year’s Eve Flight…Anything Special Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles forum
- new year’s day to iad from linate British Airways | Executive Club forum
- New Year in Paris France forum
- New year fireworks Middle East forum
- NYC New Year’s Eve Cab/Car? Mid-Atlantic forum
- Jetstar prices for new year travel Qantas | Frequent Flyer forum
- New Year’s Eve Berlin – Advice Please! Germany forum
As I posted in the greeting I used last year, for 2015:
- May you travel to every desired destination on your list;
- May you spend quality time trying new things, openly engaging new experiences, and doing everything you have always wanted to do at each destination;
- May your travels result in lifetime memories and stories to leave the listener engaged and envious enough to compel them to create their own travel adventures;
- May your frequent travel loyalty program miles and points never expire;
- May you continuously be awarded elite status every year;
- May you always have lounge access at every airport and hotel property;
- May your upgrade requests always be granted;
- May you dine well on your favorite food and drink as well as sample new flavors and tastes from all around the world; and, most importantly
- May your travels always be safe, interesting and fun — yet filled with adventure and spirit
I look forward to seeing you in 2015 — and thank you for reading and supporting The Gate for the past 8.5 years!