8 Things I Will Miss About the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
Regardless of what are your thoughts and beliefs pertaining to the reactions and response to the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic, one thing that virtually everyone can agree upon is that this will be one of the biggest events in the history of human beings on our planet.
8 Things I Will Miss About the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
Before citing what I actually will miss about the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic, the latest update is that at the time this article was written, at least 193,825 people — or slightly greater than 6.89 percent — have died of the minimum of 2,810,325 confirmed cases worldwide, according to this situation dashboard from the World Health Organization pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
I am a believer that one death — whether caused by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus or other source — is one death too many, so the fact that almost 200,000 people have died is indeed unfortunate; and I truly miss being able to travel around the world…
…but I am also a believer that there are disadvantages with everything that is good; and there are advantages with everything that is bad — and the executive order for businesses within the state of Georgia had me thinking about the eventual end of the pandemic and what I would actually miss.
1. No Traffic Jams
Whenever I have had to drive during the order of staying in place at home, I eventually realized that I did not have to be concerned about timing — such as when rush hour begins and ends so that I do not spend more time getting to or from where I needed to go.
In addition to rush hour, the times when schools and church begin and end can also cause vehicular traffic mayhem within the vicinity — sometimes to the point of gridlock, where no one is able to move for an extended period of time. A similar effect can occur around stadiums and arenas for major sporting events and concerts.
2. Cleaner Air
“Even before the coronavirus, air pollution killed seven million people a year”, according to this article written for National Geographic by
I have noticed how much cleaner the air seems to be on the many miles of walks which I have taken during the order to stay in place in the jurisdiction where I am based — and walking is thankfully encouraged under that order. The sun seems to shine brighter, the air seems to smell cleaner, and I can see further away than usual.
3. Shorter Queues
I cannot stand waiting in line for something and always attempt to avoid that whenever possible — but I noticed that queues have been shorter overall at such places as restaurants, supermarkets, and automobile mechanic service facilities.
What a savings of time I have experienced by not waiting in line at establishments as long as during the days prior to the pandemic.
4. Lower Prices
Restaurants have been offering sales on the food they sell, since most of them have not been allowed to have patrons dining in them — such as this offer from LongHorn Steakhouse about which I wrote.
Another example is the price for a gallon of gasoline, which has been as low as 75 cents per gallon — a price which has not been seen in the United States in decades. The last article which I wrote highlighted where you can get gasoline as low as 89 cents per gallon — and some fuel stations in the United States are still offering gasoline at or approximately that price.
5. More Quality Time
I often thought that many people in society needed to take a break from the endless, self-defeating, or pointless pursuit pertaining to employment and social opportunities. I know that I have been spending more time in natural settings, as I always enjoy being outdoors in the woods or near a stream.
6. Distancing Ourselves From Each Other
I may not like the term social distancing — but that does not mean I eschew the concept. As I wrote in this article pertaining to 5 Reasons Why I Have Not Changed Anything Despite 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic:
Unless I am in a gregarious mood — which is not typical for me — I arguably pretty much invented the practice of avoiding other people whenever possible; so the recommendation of distancing myself at least six feet from other people requires no change on my part.
I am hoping that we can maintain our minimum safe distances from each other long after the pandemic will have officially concluded…
…but the truth is that spreading seven billion people apart around the world with little to no new real estate on our planet — combined with an increasing population — may prove to be more difficult than some of us might think…
7. Everyone Properly Washing Hands Thoroughly and Regularly
Although washing hands thoroughly and properly seems to be en vogue as a result of attempting to keep oneself protected against contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, I sadly believe that a significant number of people will become lackadaisical about maintaining this regimen after the pandemic has been official declared at an end…
…but I do believe that a substantial number of people will have been in the habit of properly washing their hands on a regular basis by that time as well.
8. More Sanitary Facilities
Peace of mind — even if fleeting — is one thing which comes to mind with the facilities, equipment, and furnishings of companies being thoroughly cleaned, disinfected, and sanitized when patronizing them.
The one question I have is why did companies not implement the techniques to sanitize and disinfect their operations prior to the pandemic — even though many infectious diseases existed prior to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus?
While some of the cleaning procedures seem to be a little excessive, I am hoping that they stay long after the pandemic is officially considered ended.
Other than the obvious death toll which has been caused by the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic, other things which have been associated with it will not be missed by me — such as companies which use the pandemic in advertising for the sole purpose of attempting to increase revenue and profits.
My greatest hope is that we all learn some valuable lessons from the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic to improve society overall in honor and remembrance of those who have lost their lives. If we successfully do so, their deaths will not have been all for naught.
This article is the latest in a series pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus — which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2 or HCoV-19 or severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 — pandemic in an effort to get the facts out with information derived from reliable sources…
…as well as attempt to maintain a reasoned and sensible ongoing discussion towards how to resolve this pandemic.
Other articles at The Gate which pertain to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus include:
- Was Governor Really Wrong About Opening Up Georgia in Phases?
- Editorial: We Need to Stop Relying on Government to Take Care of Us
- Would Touchless Faucets and Fixtures in Public Washrooms Help Mitigate the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic?
- A Precedent Already Exists for Immunity Passports. It is Called…
- “The World Will Not and Cannot Go Back to the Way Things Were”, Warns Director-General of World Health Organization
- 3 Extra Months Free With Discounted Priority Pass Annual Membership — Save Up to 25 Percent
- IHG Rewards Club Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Earth Day 2020: More Littering of Contaminated Gloves and Masks From the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Earth Day 2020: Should Single Use Plastics Be Eliminated at Hotels Worldwide After All? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Earth Day 2020: 6 Ways to Conserve Water — Especially During a Pandemic
- One Example of the Dichotomy of We Are All In This Together: American Airlines
- How Donating Blood Has Changed During the Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- $8 Trillion Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against China For Covering Up 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Airline Passengers Must Cover Mouth and Nose In Canada
- Extension Offered to Departing Visa Waiver Program Travelers by Customs and Border Protection of the United States Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Stop the Spread of Littering Contaminated Gloves and Masks, Please
- Has Shutting Down The Economy Put Children Worldwide at Greater Risk? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- A List of Class Action Lawsuits Against Travel Companies April 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- More Flights in the Skies Now — But Not by Airplanes
- Are We TRULY All In This Together? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Protesting is a Non-Essential Activity: Unconstitutional During 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic?
- Murder Allegedly Committed by Inmate Released Early Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Greater Than 117 Million Children at Risk of No Measles Vaccines Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Ebola Virus is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern
- No 7.7 Percent Raise For Marriott Chief Executive Officer in 2020
- I Feel Bad For…
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 89 Cents Per Gallon or Less April 11 2020 in the United States?
- Visitors Required to Complete Declaration When Traveling to This State
- 5 Ways to Prevent Yourself From Being Scammed During the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Latest Travel Advisory April 7 2020 From the Department of State of the United States
- Marriott Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Alaska Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- How to Save Up to 55 Percent on Restaurant Quality Steaks — Or Possibly More — But Hurry
- 8 Reasons to Be Careful About Buying Gift Cards Right Now…
- Yes, Marriott Insiders Forum HAS Shut Down and Moved
- United Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Headspace Meditation and Mindfulness Trial Offer With World of Hyatt
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon or Less April 5 2020 in the United States?
- Delta Air Lines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Delta Air Lines Extends Ability to Rebook Up to 2 Years on Travel Impacted by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Cyber Security Scam Alert Issued by the World Health Organization
- Hyatt Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Return to the United States NOW or Stay Abroad Indefinitely, Department of State Warns Citizens
- Face Covering? No Face Mask? Why Seemingly Conflicting Information From Two Reliable Sources
- No New Passport Applications Accepted Except for Emergency Situations Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Airlines are Obligated to Provide Prompt Refunds to Customers: Enforcement Notice 2020 From the Department of Transportation of the United States
- Should We Shut Down the World Every Three Years? Setting a Precedent With 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus is Not an April Fool’s Day Joke, Unfortunately
- Why You Should NOT Skip Credit Card Payments During the Pandemic
- Are Some Room Rates Not Being Reduced Because of Discrimination?
- What is the Difference Between Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sanitizing?
- One Way Rental Car Offers in the United States 2020 — 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for Less Than 90 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Get 10 Percent Additional Value When Exchanging for Future Travel Voucher With Qatar Airways
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 34: Coronavirus Edition
- Is Sheltering in Place Ordinance Unconstitutional? Man Sues Local Government
- One Illogically Irrational Aspect of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic is…
- Updated Policies of 23 Lodging Companies Worldwide: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- More States Where You Can Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon
- Do You Miss Dining on Airline Food? This Can Help…
- Do Not Read This Article. Take a Walk Instead. If You Can.
- Hilton Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 5 Reasons Why I Have Not Changed Anything Despite 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Revealing Parts of My Body to Help With Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- 2 Reliable Resources of Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Most Restaurants Now Offer Free Delivery. What About the Gratuity?
- Most Trusted Traveler Programs Enrollment Temporarily Suspended Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Have We Become a Society of Wimps Addicted to Drama?
- Four Overused Terms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Era
- Several Rental Car Companies Waive Young Adult Fees Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- National Park Service Suspends All Entrance Fees Due To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Passport Services Delayed Beyond 8 Weeks; Expedited Passport Services Suspended Indefinitely
- Global Level 4 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 30: Coronavirus Edition
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: An Updated Comprehensive List
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus: Should You Travel Within the United States?
- $250 Billion Bailout Requested by Lodging Companies
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: A Comprehensive List
- $50 Billion Bailout Requested by Airlines; Trump to “Back the Airlines 100%”
- Global Level 3 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- All Domestic Travel Banned For Personnel of Department of Defense of the United States
- March 15 2020: Checking Back In on 2019 Novel Coronavirus — My Opinions, If Anyone Cares
- Hotel Deploys Robots to Sanitize and Disinfect Rooms
- Ireland and the United Kingdom Added to Suspension for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days From Europe to the United States
- Change Fee and Cancellation Fee Policies and Waivers of 46 Airlines Due To 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Up to 12 Ounces of Hand Sanitizer is Permitted Through Airport Security Checkpoints
- I Swear, If I Receive One More Message About How My Health and Safety are Their Top Priority…
- Four Reliable Resources For Travel and the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Just Shut Down the Entire Planet. Problem Solved?
- Stop the Hyperbole: Travel is NOT Banned Between the United States and Europe…
- Travel From Europe to the United States Suspended for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days
- My Unproven Secret to Not Contracting a Virus in Years
- Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Declared by World Health Organization
- Official Warning Issued Against Travel by Cruise Ship Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus by the Department of State of the United States
- Now the Entire Country of Italy is Under Quarantine
- 16 Million People Quarantined in Northern Italy
- Are Masks Effective Against 2019 Novel Coronavirus That People are Stealing Them?
- As Many as 46,000 People May Have Died in the United States Alone From…
- Lodging Companies Issue Travel Waivers and Elite Status Extensions 2020 Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update: More Airlines Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Airlines Which Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Should You Be Concerned About Coronavirus?
- Travel Alert February 2020: Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: Northern Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: South Korea Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- A Deal to Antarctica Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus — But Hurry
- Update: Do Not Travel to China Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Says United States Department of State
- Travel Alert January 2020: Hong Kong Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update January 2020: Additional Airlines Issue Travel Waivers for 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert January 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Affecting Air Travel
All photographs ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, and ©2018 by Brian Cohen.