A Precedent Already Exists for Immunity Passports. It is Called…
One of the ideas which has been surfacing in the news recently in response to the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic which has swept around the world is passengers being required to carry a document known as an immunity passport, which could ease the concerns of both fellow passengers and employees of airlines that they have a reduced chance of contracting the virus.
A Precedent Already Exists for Immunity Passports. It is Called…
An immunity passport would be a document which is issued to any person who has successfully recovered from 2019 Novel Coronavirus, and therefore whose immune systems would theoretically have the antibodies necessary to fight off the virus and prevent a second infection — or perhaps already have the antibodies of the virus without suffering the symptoms of contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
In addition to several countries which are seriously considering issuing the document, one country — Chile — has already started issuing immunity passports to people who have recovered from the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
Although an immunity card could possibly help towards knowing which people are vulnerable to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus and which are not — as well as increase confidence in the safety of travel in general — several concerns pertaining to the document include people who purposely attempt to become infected with the 2019 Novel Coronavirus in order to recover and be allowed return to work; possible job discrimination, and a black market for immunity passports.
The International Certificate of Vaccination Against Yellow Fever
One precedent already exists for immunity passports: the international certificate of vaccination against yellow fever, which some countries require for entry if you visited a country known to have a problem with yellow fever. Initially only valid for ten years before having to receive the potentially costly yellow fever vaccination again, the international certificate of vaccination against yellow fever is valid for the life of the person vaccinated effective as of Monday July 11, 2016 as officially amended and directed by the World Health Organization — and this lifetime validity applies automatically to all existing and new certificates beginning ten days after the date of vaccination.
Angola experienced its worst epidemic of yellow fever in approximately 30 years, which was first reported in the capital city of Luanda in December of 2015; and was declared to have officially ended in December 23, 2016, according to the World Health Organization. The outbreak of yellow fever extended into the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2016.
The outbreak of yellow fever “had caused 962 confirmed cases of yellow fever across the two countries (884 in Angola 78 in DRC) by 16 November 2016, with more than 7300 suspected cases”, according to this article at the official Internet web site of the World Health Organization pertaining to winning the war against yellow fever.
The yellow fever virus is transmitted by infected mosquitoes. Most people have no symptoms, which may include fever, muscle pain, backache, headache, nausea, vomiting, jaundice, and bleeding from the mouth, nose, eyes or stomach. Vaccination is the most effective way to protect oneself from yellow fever.
- Yellow fever is an acute viral haemorrhagic disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes. The “yellow” in the name refers to the jaundice that affects some patients.
- Symptoms of yellow fever include fever, headache, jaundice, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting and fatigue.
- A small proportion of patients who contract the virus develop severe symptoms and approximately half of those die within seven to ten days.
- The virus is endemic in tropical areas of Africa and Central and South America.
- Large epidemics of yellow fever occur when infected people introduce the virus into heavily populated areas with high mosquito density and where most people have little or no immunity, due to lack of vaccination. In these conditions, infected mosquitoes of the Aedes aegypti specie transmit the virus from person to person.
- Yellow fever is prevented by an extremely effective vaccine, which is safe and affordable. A single dose of yellow fever vaccine is sufficient to confer sustained immunity and life-long protection against yellow fever disease. A booster dose of the vaccine is not needed. The vaccine provides effective immunity within 10 days for 80 percent to 100 percent of people vaccinated, and within 30 days for greater than 99 percent of people vaccinated.
- Good supportive treatment in hospitals improves survival rates. There is currently no specific anti-viral drug for yellow fever.
- The Eliminate Yellow fever Epidemics Strategy launched in 2017 is an unprecedented initiative. With more than 50 partners involved, the EYE partnership supports 40 at-risk countries in Africa and the Americas to prevent, detect, and respond to yellow fever suspected cases and outbreaks. The partnership aims at protecting at-risk populations, preventing international spread, and containing outbreaks rapidly. By 2026, greater than 1 billion people are expected to be protected against the disease.
I am neutral on whether people — especially travelers — should be required to carry immunity passports. I do not believe that the potential negative aspects will outweigh the positive ones.
If I will be required to carry an immunity passport, I hope that the process is implemented in such as way as to be of as little inconvenience as possible without compromising its efficacy.
This article is the latest in a series pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus — which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2 or HCoV-19 or severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 — pandemic in an effort to get the facts out with information derived from reliable sources…
…as well as attempt to maintain a reasoned and sensible ongoing discussion towards how to resolve this pandemic.
Other articles at The Gate which pertain to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus include:
- “The World Will Not and Cannot Go Back to the Way Things Were”, Warns Director-General of World Health Organization
- 3 Extra Months Free With Discounted Priority Pass Annual Membership — Save Up to 25 Percent
- IHG Rewards Club Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Earth Day 2020: More Littering of Contaminated Gloves and Masks From the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Earth Day 2020: Should Single Use Plastics Be Eliminated at Hotels Worldwide After All? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Earth Day 2020: 6 Ways to Conserve Water — Especially During a Pandemic
- One Example of the Dichotomy of We Are All In This Together: American Airlines
- How Donating Blood Has Changed During the Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- $8 Trillion Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against China For Covering Up 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Airline Passengers Must Cover Mouth and Nose In Canada
- Extension Offered to Departing Visa Waiver Program Travelers by Customs and Border Protection of the United States Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Stop the Spread of Littering Contaminated Gloves and Masks, Please
- Has Shutting Down The Economy Put Children Worldwide at Greater Risk? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- A List of Class Action Lawsuits Against Travel Companies April 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- More Flights in the Skies Now — But Not by Airplanes
- Are We TRULY All In This Together? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Protesting is a Non-Essential Activity: Unconstitutional During 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic?
- Murder Allegedly Committed by Inmate Released Early Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Greater Than 117 Million Children at Risk of No Measles Vaccines Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Ebola Virus is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern
- No 7.7 Percent Raise For Marriott Chief Executive Officer in 2020
- I Feel Bad For…
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 89 Cents Per Gallon or Less April 11 2020 in the United States?
- Visitors Required to Complete Declaration When Traveling to This State
- 5 Ways to Prevent Yourself From Being Scammed During the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Latest Travel Advisory April 7 2020 From the Department of State of the United States
- Marriott Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Alaska Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- How to Save Up to 55 Percent on Restaurant Quality Steaks — Or Possibly More — But Hurry
- 8 Reasons to Be Careful About Buying Gift Cards Right Now…
- Yes, Marriott Insiders Forum HAS Shut Down and Moved
- United Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Headspace Meditation and Mindfulness Trial Offer With World of Hyatt
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon or Less April 5 2020 in the United States?
- Delta Air Lines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Delta Air Lines Extends Ability to Rebook Up to 2 Years on Travel Impacted by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Cyber Security Scam Alert Issued by the World Health Organization
- Hyatt Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Return to the United States NOW or Stay Abroad Indefinitely, Department of State Warns Citizens
- Face Covering? No Face Mask? Why Seemingly Conflicting Information From Two Reliable Sources
- No New Passport Applications Accepted Except for Emergency Situations Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Airlines are Obligated to Provide Prompt Refunds to Customers: Enforcement Notice 2020 From the Department of Transportation of the United States
- Should We Shut Down the World Every Three Years? Setting a Precedent With 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus is Not an April Fool’s Day Joke, Unfortunately
- Why You Should NOT Skip Credit Card Payments During the Pandemic
- Are Some Room Rates Not Being Reduced Because of Discrimination?
- What is the Difference Between Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sanitizing?
- One Way Rental Car Offers in the United States 2020 — 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for Less Than 90 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Get 10 Percent Additional Value When Exchanging for Future Travel Voucher With Qatar Airways
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 34: Coronavirus Edition
- Is Sheltering in Place Ordinance Unconstitutional? Man Sues Local Government
- One Illogically Irrational Aspect of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic is…
- Updated Policies of 23 Lodging Companies Worldwide: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- More States Where You Can Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon
- Do You Miss Dining on Airline Food? This Can Help…
- Do Not Read This Article. Take a Walk Instead. If You Can.
- Hilton Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 5 Reasons Why I Have Not Changed Anything Despite 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Revealing Parts of My Body to Help With Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- 2 Reliable Resources of Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Most Restaurants Now Offer Free Delivery. What About the Gratuity?
- Most Trusted Traveler Programs Enrollment Temporarily Suspended Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Have We Become a Society of Wimps Addicted to Drama?
- Four Overused Terms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Era
- Several Rental Car Companies Waive Young Adult Fees Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- National Park Service Suspends All Entrance Fees Due To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Passport Services Delayed Beyond 8 Weeks; Expedited Passport Services Suspended Indefinitely
- Global Level 4 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 30: Coronavirus Edition
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: An Updated Comprehensive List
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus: Should You Travel Within the United States?
- $250 Billion Bailout Requested by Lodging Companies
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: A Comprehensive List
- $50 Billion Bailout Requested by Airlines; Trump to “Back the Airlines 100%”
- Global Level 3 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- All Domestic Travel Banned For Personnel of Department of Defense of the United States
- March 15 2020: Checking Back In on 2019 Novel Coronavirus — My Opinions, If Anyone Cares
- Hotel Deploys Robots to Sanitize and Disinfect Rooms
- Ireland and the United Kingdom Added to Suspension for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days From Europe to the United States
- Change Fee and Cancellation Fee Policies and Waivers of 46 Airlines Due To 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Up to 12 Ounces of Hand Sanitizer is Permitted Through Airport Security Checkpoints
- I Swear, If I Receive One More Message About How My Health and Safety are Their Top Priority…
- Four Reliable Resources For Travel and the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Just Shut Down the Entire Planet. Problem Solved?
- Stop the Hyperbole: Travel is NOT Banned Between the United States and Europe…
- Travel From Europe to the United States Suspended for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days
- My Unproven Secret to Not Contracting a Virus in Years
- Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Declared by World Health Organization
- Official Warning Issued Against Travel by Cruise Ship Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus by the Department of State of the United States
- Now the Entire Country of Italy is Under Quarantine
- 16 Million People Quarantined in Northern Italy
- Are Masks Effective Against 2019 Novel Coronavirus That People are Stealing Them?
- As Many as 46,000 People May Have Died in the United States Alone From…
- Lodging Companies Issue Travel Waivers and Elite Status Extensions 2020 Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update: More Airlines Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Airlines Which Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Should You Be Concerned About Coronavirus?
- Travel Alert February 2020: Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: Northern Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: South Korea Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- A Deal to Antarctica Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus — But Hurry
- Update: Do Not Travel to China Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Says United States Department of State
- Travel Alert January 2020: Hong Kong Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update January 2020: Additional Airlines Issue Travel Waivers for 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert January 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Affecting Air Travel
Photograph ©2016 by Brian Cohen.