The Most Disappointing Destinations in the World?
T here is a list of the most disappointing destinations in the world which has been circulating around the Internet recently — and some of those destinations are as follows, along with comments from me based on my experience:
- Paris I have been to this city several times, and I personally have enjoyed what this city has to offer: cuisine, architecture, landmarks, museums, and cafés where you can pass the time watching people without being rushed to leave; and I have not experienced any more rudeness from its citizens than in any other city — probably because I am able to speak some French
- Venice While the stench of the canals resembled that of a sewer at times, there is affordable cuisine and affordable lodging — if you know where to find it — and I would certainly recommend visiting Venice if you have not yet been there
- Stonehenge It was a cold and windy day when I visited; and while I was indeed interested in it, I was disappointed that I could not experience it more intimately — such as being able to get closer to it, for example — like what can be done at Avebury nearby, for which I plan to compose a trip report
- Los Angeles This sprawling city is not walkable and is certainly not one of my favorite cities; but it has its gems — and while it is usually smoggy, the weather can be fantastic
- Bali I have not yet visited this destination
- Dubai I have not yet visited this destination
- The Pyramids of Giza in Egypt I have not yet visited this destination
- Jamaica I have not yet visited this destination
I have found that the key to enjoying a destination is either knowing someone who knows its ins and outs and gems undiscovered by the typical tourist; or ensure that it contains activities and local focal points which interest you. For example, Australia and Alaska were some of my favorite destinations to visit because they were filled with activities which interested me; while parts of Venice and Paris about which would have remained otherwise unknown to me because they were introduced to me by someone who knew those cities well.
Whether or not a destination is a disappointment is highly subjective. The source of the above list — certainly not exhaustive by any measure — is at reddit.com; but FlyerTalk members have compiled their own list.
Which destination have you found disappointing — and why?