Don’t Be Fooled By The Courtyard 2K Everyday Promotion 2018
Marriott Rewards often has sales for its members of various types with which you can earn extra points at no extra cost — and those promotions can be potentially valuable and lucrative…
Don’t Be Fooled By The Courtyard 2K Everyday Promotion 2018
…but as I was logged in to my Marriott Rewards membership account pertaining to something unrelated, I stumbled on a promotion which initially seemed quite attractive: with the Courtyard 2K Everyday promotion, you can earn an additional 2,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points for every night booked at participating Courtyard by Marriott hotel properties — and no expiration date as to when this promotion ends can be found anywhere, which leads me to the assumption that this is an ongoing promotion.
The terms and conditions for this promotion are quite simple: You must book your reservations using promotional code 53M in order to receive Marriott Rewards bonus points. This offer applies to one regular room per stay, per member; and is not available during special events; tax is additional; special offers cannot be combined; blackout dates may exist; advance reservations are required. Offer does not apply to groups of ten or more rooms. Members of the Marriott Rewards frequent guest loyalty program who elect to earn frequent flier loyalty program miles are not eligible for this promotion.
That seems pretty simple, right? What am I waiting for? Let me book my future reservations now!
Not so fast…
Not Quite the Deal You Might Have Initially Thought
I decided to randomly choose the Courtyard Houston Brookhollow hotel property for one night, checking in on Wednesday, November 7, 2018 and checking out on Thursday, November 8, 2018.
The rate I received is $169.00 per night through this promotion — that does not include $28.73 in taxes and fees, which increases the rate to $197.73 per night in total — but look near the top of the graphic where different rates are shown.
Standard room rates begin at $146.00 per night if you are a member of the Marriott Rewards frequent guest loyalty program, which is obviously a requirement if you want 2,000 bonus points per night.
Pay the rate in advance and the member rate drops further to $131.00 per night. That does not include $22.27 in taxes and fees, which increases the rate to $153.27 per night in total. Remember that advance reservations are required for the Courtyard 2K Everyday promotion.
Even the rate which includes breakfast for two adults and children who are younger than 12 years of age is ten dollars less expensive than the Courtyard 2K Everyday promotion rate.
Through this promotion, you are paying as much as $44.46 per night for 2,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points when you include taxes and fees — and that is only at one specific hotel property. That works out to 2.223 cents per point, which is hardly a bargain when you consider that the purchase rate directly from Marriott Rewards is $12.50 per 1,000 points, which is 1.25 cents per point…
…and the rate could vary more or less, depending on the hotel property — and if the rate is more expensive, then expect to pay more in taxes and fees, which potentially increases the discrepancy even more.
The only reason I can see wanting to take advantage of the Courtyard 2K Everyday promotion is if you have reached the maximum limit of purchasing 50,000 points per year and you still want to earn more Marriott Rewards points — and you are willing to overpay by 0.973 cents per point, or almost one cent per point at this particular hotel property — but even that rationale does not mitigate the specious nature of this offer.
As for other offers with Marriott Rewards which are currently available, you can:
- You can either save 20 percent on regular room rates for two weekend nights or save 25 percent on regular room rates for a minimum of three weekend nights Thursdays through Sundays when you stay at your choice of 17 different hotel or resort properties in the District of Columbia through Thursday, February 21, 2019 — but you must book your reservation using promotional code D3Q by Thursday, February 21, 2019.
- You can either save 20 percent on regular room rates for two weekend nights or save 30 percent on regular room rates for three weekend nights Thursdays through Mondays — and also enjoy checking out of the hotel or resort property as late as 1:00 in the afternoon when you stay at your choice of 15 different hotel or resort properties in the greater Phoenix and Scottsdale metropolitan area through Monday, December 31, 2018 — but you must book your reservation using promotional code SPU by Monday, December 31, 2018.
- You can save up to 20 percent on standard room rates — seven days per week — when you stay a minimum of two nights at your choice of 36 different resort destination properties in the United States and Canada through Sunday, December 30, 2018; but you must book your reservation using promotional code D3Q by Thursday, November 15, 2018.
- Earn 2,000 bonus Marriott Rewards points per stay at your choice of six different hotel properties in Paris from Sunday, August 26, 2018 through Saturday, November 3, 2018 — but you must book your reservation by Saturday, November 3, 2018 and use promotional code M11.
- Save 20 percent off of leisure rates when you stay at select Marriott Vacation Club resort properties in North America, Europe and Asia from Sunday, September 16, 2018 through Thursday, December 6, 2018; and is valid for travel Sundays through Thursdays — with some exceptions noted in italic type — when you book your reservations using promotion code M11 by Thursday, December 6, 2018.
Photograph ©2014 by Brian Cohen.
Please note that I receive compensation for affiliate links posted at The Gate effective as of Sunday, January 1, 2017. You are not required to use these affiliate links; but if you do use them, your support of The Gate is greatly appreciated — and using affiliate links will not cost you any extra time or money.