Earn Elite Status Faster in 2021, Keep It Through March 2023 With Hilton Honors Status Match
If you have elite status in the frequent guest loyalty program of a competing lodging company, you can now apply for a status match to not only earn elite status in half the regular time with Hilton Honors; but you can also maintain your elite status until Friday, March 31, 2023.
You read that correctly: the year 2023.
Earn Elite Status Faster in 2021, Keep It Through March 2023 With Hilton Honors Status Match
If you are a basic member of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program or have earned Silver elite level status and you happen to have already earned elite status in the frequent guest loyalty program of a competing lodging company, you are qualified to apply for a status match to earn:
- Gold status after staying five nights during a period of 90 days
- Diamond status after nine nights during a period of 90 days
Once earned, you get to keep your elite status level through Friday, March 31, 2023.
Acceptable forms of elite status validation include a screen shot of your current and active membership account status. Acceptable forms of stay validation include a screen shot of your recent reservations or hotel receipt, redacting any personal information other than your name and membership number. Only .jpg files are accepted. Please do NOT send any personal information — including your telephone number, address, social security number, date of birth, user name, passwords, or credit card information. Only elite status from another hotel loyalty program which is listed in the status drop down menu is eligible for status matching.
Hilton reserves the right to decline any application at any time for any reason. Please allow up to seven business days for Hilton Honors to process your request. Hilton may require additional validation in its complete discretion which may take up to an additional seven business days. The 90 day elite status match trial period starts once approved. Only members who have not previously completed a status match challenge are eligible. Reward stays do not count toward achieving the status match requirements.
Other Offers From Hilton Honors
Members of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program are being given potentially great opportunities to earn even more points to use towards a future stay — and as a member, in addition to redeeming Hilton Honors points on hotel stays, charitable contributions, and various partners, you can:
- Earn 2,000 bonus Hilton Honors points per stay in the latest iteration of the Points Unlimited promotion from Hilton Honors through Sunday, May 2, 2021 — plus you can earn an additional 5,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for every five nights, regardless of whether or not you have earned elite level status — but you must first register for this promotion prior to completing a stay during the promotion period; and you can earn bonus Hilton Honors points even on reward stays during the Points Unlimited promotion.
- Apply for the Hilton Honors American Express Card by Sunday, January 31, 2021. New card members can earn a $100.00 statement credit after their first card purchase and 75,000 Hilton Honors bonus points after spending $1,000.00 in purchases on the card within the first three months. With the statement credit and 75,000 Hilton Honors bonus points, members could enjoy two nights at one of the mountain getaway properties used as an example later in this article — and still have points to spare! Plus, the $100.00 statement credit is received after the first purchase — including gasoline or road trip snacks — and can help offset part of the cost of any trip mementos.
- As thanks for their continued loyalty this season, members of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program who have earned Diamond elite level status will be able to gift elite status to another person of his or her choosing for one year; and the gifting period starts next week through Sunday, January 31, 2021. The Elite Status Gifting benefit is typically reserved for members who complete a standard annual night requirement — but as an opportunity for one time only, this benefit will be extended to its global Diamond members and Lifetime Diamond members. For members who earned Elite Status Gifting through their nights earned in 2020, this offer is an extra opportunity to gift to someone new.
- Diamond members will receive an e-mail message with instructions on how to gift Gold elite level status
- Lifetime Diamond members will be able to gift Diamond elite level status
Extension of Elite Level Status
All members whose elite status was scheduled to be downgraded in 2020 and 2021 will automatically be extended through Thursday, March 31, 2022 — which means that you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver elite status level benefits to which you have access today for the next 24 months.
Originally, members whose 2019 elite status was to be downgraded on Tuesday, March 31, 2020 initially automatically received an extension through Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
Extension of Expiration of Points
All Hilton Honors points which were scheduled to expire on Thursday, December 31, 2020 was initially paused until further notice; but now the expiration date has been set for Friday, December 31, 2021 — and no points will expire until at least then, no matter when they were earned.
Reduction of Qualification Requirements to Earn Elite Status by 50 Percent
The qualification requirements to earn elite status across all tiers will be reduced by 50 percent — including stays, nights, and base points earned in 2021 — to allow you to achieve elite status in half the time.
For example, in order to earn Gold elite level status:
|Minimum Requirements to Earn Gold Elite Level Status
|Minimum Nights to Complete||20 Nights||40 Nights|
|Minimum Stays to Complete
||10 Stays||20 Stays|
|Minimum Hilton Honors Points to Earn
||37,500 Hilton Honors Points||75,000 Hilton Honors Points|
Also, all 2020 nights will automatically roll over to the 2021 calendar year to help you upgrade your elite tier status even faster.
Milestone Bonus Night Threshold Lowered
The Milestone Bonus Night threshold was lowered to begin at 20 nights in 2021 — the threshold was previously 40 nights — to align with new Gold elite level status qualification and allow you to earn rewards faster.
Members who have earned Gold elite level status will earn 10,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for 20 nights stayed; and will continue earning the additional 10,000 bonus points every ten nights above that level in a calendar year. At 60 nights, a member would still earn the additional milestone bonus of 30,000 bonus points.
Fewer Nights to Stay For Gifting or Upgrading Elite Status by Diamond Members
Reducing Gifting Status Night Threshold to the new Diamond status night qualification. The minimum threshold of the number of nights which are required to either gift Gold elite level status or upgrade the gift to Diamond elite level status by Hilton Honors members who have earned Diamond elite level status have been reduced as follows, according to the chart:
|Minimum Requirements of Nights to:
|Gift Gold Elite Level Status
||30 Nights||60 Nights|
|Upgrade Gift to Diamond Elite Level Status
||60 Nights||100 Nights|
Extension of Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Honors American Express Cards
All Free Weekend Night Reward certificates which were issued in 2020 and will be issued in 2021 will continue to be valid for use during any night of the week instead of only on weekend nights.
The expiration date of all Free Weekend Night Reward certificates which are issued in 2021 will be extended to Saturday, December 31, 2022.
Free Weekend Night Reward certificates which have not expired as of Thursday, December 31, 2020 will expire in accordance with their previously communicated terms. This means that according to this article from Wednesday, March 25, 2020, the expiration date of all Weekend Night Rewards which have not expired as of Wednesday, March 11, 2020 — and all Weekend Night Rewards which will have been issued until Sunday, August 30, 2020 — will automatically be extended through Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
Bonus Points Continue to Count as Base Points on Eligible Hilton Honors American Express Cards
Bonus Hilton Honors points will continue to count as base points on eligible purchases through Friday, December 31, 2021 on all eligible Hilton Honors American Express cards; and they will also count toward the qualification of elite tier status — including Lifetime Diamond Status.
If you are not already a member of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program, you can join now free of charge.
While most of the revised adjustments to policies of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program is good news, two items stand out to me that I believe should have been revised as well — but perhaps I am asking for too much:
- The expiration date of all Free Weekend Night Reward certificates — regardless of when they were issued — should have been extended to Saturday, December 31, 2022, and not just those which will be issued in 2021.
- The flexible change policy and cancellation policy should have been extended as well, as only individual reservations which were booked prior to Thursday, October 1, 2020 are eligible for free changes or cancellation up to 24 hours before the day of arrival.
All photographs ©2015, ©2017, ©2018, and ©2019 by Brian Cohen.