Extended: Free 1,000 Hilton HHonors Points For Changing the Password to Your Account
T his is no April Fool’s joke if you have not yet changed your password for your Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program account when you log in: as of Wednesday, April 22, 2015, you will be required to create a new password; and the use of personal identification numbers will no longer be accepted. This is excellent news because this means that accounts will now become more difficult to infiltrate by unauthorized entities — for example, when the accounts of members were sold for cents on the dollar by thieves, as I first reported back on October 31, 2014.
Today was the original date for the required change from a personal identification number to a password; and the good news is that to sweeten this deal — and in order to avoid any interruptions to your account access — if you proactively update your password as soon as possible through Friday, April 10, 2015, you will still be eligible to receive 1,000 bonus Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program points as shown here regarding item number four at the official Internet web site of Hilton HHonors:
If you change your password between March 10 and April 10, 2015, you will receive the 1,000 Bonus Points. We are committed to getting points posted to your account as soon as possible, if you do not see your points after six to eight weeks please connect with us.
You can update your password by following the steps below:
- Log in to your account here with your current username or Hilton HHonors membership number and existing password or personal identification number.
- On the left-hand side under the My Profile section, click Personal Information.
- If you have a password, select Change Password; if you do not have a password, select Create username and password.
- Your new password must:
- Have a minimum of eight characters
- Contain at least one upper case letter; and
- Contain at least one number or one special character
- Remember to choose a unique password and update it regularly — at least every three to six months — to protect your personal information and ensure maximum security.
- If you do not change your password by Wednesday, April 1, 2015, you will be prompted to implement this change the next time you attempt to log in to your account on or after this date — and you will miss out on receiving 1,000 bonus Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program points.
This offer was originally announced on Thursday, February 19, 2015; but because of technology issues, members of the Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program were asked to hold off on changing the passwords to their accounts until the technology issues were resolved — and that appeared be the case, as I wrote in this article on Friday, March 13, 2015.
Even though it is still possible for your account to be breached with a password — my Starwood Preferred Guest account was compromised and wiped out in January; and access to it required a password — a password is more secure than a personal identification number.
Moreover, chances are excellent that if your account was compromised, the representatives for Hilton HHonors will be as professional and diligent as those of Starwood Preferred Guest, as I never worried about whether or not I would ever see my Starpoints again.
Go secure your Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program account with a unique password; and get those 1,000 bonus Hilton HHonors frequent guest loyalty program points now — and this time, I mean it, as April 10 seems like it will be the absolute last time you can take advantage of this offer!
I want to thank FlyerTalk member Sisosig for posting this news here, which is where I first learned of it.
Photograph ©2015 by Brian Cohen.