Miles and Points On Sale — April 23 2021
Sometimes you need an infusion of miles or points to your membership account for whatever reason — perhaps to have enough to redeem for a limited time award as one example — and the best time to purchase miles or points is when they are on sale.
Miles and Points On Sale — April 23 2021
A sale may be a discount on the price required to purchase miles or points — or perhaps the frequent travel loyalty program from whom you are buying the miles or points will match your purchase up to 100 percent, which is another way of reducing the cost of miles or points.
Offers to purchase miles and points are not usually highlighted in their own articles here at The Gate. Rather, they are compiled in occasional articles such as this one so that you can shop for miles and points from different frequent travel loyalty programs conveniently in one spot.
The frequent travel loyalty programs which are featured in this edition of miles and points on sale are:
- Choice Privileges Rewards
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- Emirates Airline Skywards
- JetBlue Airways TrueBlue
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
- United Airlines MileagePlus
- Virgin Atlantic Airways Flying Club
Choice Privileges Rewards: Up to 40 Percent Bonus Points
You only have until Tuesday, April 27, 2021 to take advantage of receiving a bonus of 40 percent on your purchase of Choice Privileges Rewards points with a minimum purchase of 3,000 Choice Privileges Rewards points in one transaction — but the maximum amount of points which you can purchase this year is 180,000 points, which will cost you $1,782.00.
Hilton Honors: 100 Percent Bonus Points
You can receive a bonus of 100 percent on any purchase of a minimum of 10,000 Hilton Honors points — up to a maximum limit of 160,000 Hilton Honors points for $1,600.00, which is $0.005 per point when factoring in the bonus points — but you have until Tuesday, May 11, 2021 to take advantage of this offer.
World of Hyatt: 25 Percent Discount
Until the end of the day, Friday, April 30, 2021, you can enjoy a discount of 25 percent on the purchase of a minimum of 5,000 points up to a maximum of 55,000 points — that is, spend $990.00 instead of $1,320.00 to receive a total of 55,000 World of Hyatt points — before taxes and fees.
IHG Rewards: 100 Percent Bonus Points
You have until Monday, May 3, 2021 to take advantage of receiving a bonus of 75 percent on IHG Rewards points with a minimum purchase of 3,000 IHG Rewards base points and up to a maximum limit of 150,000 IHG Rewards base points for $1,500.00.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan: Up to 60 Percent Bonus Miles
The regular price for purchasing Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles is $27.50 per 1,000 miles; but until Saturday, May 22, 2021, you can purchase a minimum of 3,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 60 percent more miles as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 39,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles = 40 percent bonus Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles
- Buy 40,000 to 100,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles = 60 percent bonus Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles
American Airlines AAdvantage: 40 Percent Discount
You can purchase or gift up to a maximum of 150,000 miles in order to receive a discount of 40 percent on AAdvantage miles — that is a total of 150,000 AAdvantage miles for a cost of $2,902.50 or 1.935 cents per mile, which is a fairly good deal — through Friday, April 30, 2021. The minimum purchase must be at least 10,000 AAdvantage miles.
Emirates Airline Skywards: Up to 45 Percent Discount
You can save up to 45 percent on the purchase or gifting of a minimum of 3,000 Emirates Skywards miles through Friday, April 30, 2021 — but only members of the Skywards frequent flier loyalty program who have had any previous activity in their membership accounts can purchase miles as follows:
- Buy or gift 3,000 to 10,000 Emirates Skywards miles = 14 percent discount
- Buy or gift 11,000 to 24,000 Emirates Skywards miles = 30 percent discount
- Buy or gift a minimum of 25,000 Emirates Skywards miles = 45 percent discount
JetBlue Airways TrueBlue: Mystery Percentage of Bonus Miles
Until Tuesday, April 27, 2021, you can purchase a minimum of 3,000 TrueBlue points and receive a mystery percentage of bonus miles with JetBlue Airways with the following tiers:
- Buy 3,000 to 9,500 TrueBlue points = ?? percent discount
- Buy 10,000 to 29,500 TrueBlue points = ?? percent discount
- Buy 30,000 TrueBlue points = ?? percent discount
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards: Up to 75 Percent Bonus Points
Until Friday, May 28, 2021, purchase a minimum of 5,000 Rapid Rewards points — up to a maximum of 60,000 Rapid Rewards points in a transaction per day — and receive a bonus of up to 75 percent as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 9,000 Rapid Rewards points = 65 percent bonus Rapid Rewards points
- Buy 10,000 to 14,000 Rapid Rewards points = 70 percent bonus Rapid Rewards points
- Buy 15,000 to 60,000 Rapid Rewards points = 75 percent bonus Rapid Rewards points
United Airlines MileagePlus: Up to 75 Percent Bonus Miles
Until the end of the day on Friday, April 30, 2021, you can purchase up to a maximum of 100,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 75 percent more MileagePlus miles as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 14,000 MileagePlus miles = 30 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 15,000 to 34,000 MileagePlus miles = 50 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 35,000 to 100,000 MileagePlus miles = 75 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
Virgin Atlantic Airways Flying Club: Up to 50 Percent Bonus Miles
You can receive a bonus of 50 percent on Flying Club miles through Friday, April 30, 2021 at midnight Greenwich Mean Time when you purchase a minimum of 5,000 Virgin Atlantic Airways Flying Club miles as follows:
- Buy 5,000 to 24,000 Flying Club miles = 15 percent bonus Flying Club miles
- Buy 25,000 to 69,000 Flying Club miles = 30 percent bonus Flying Club miles
- Buy 70,000 to 99,000 Flying Club miles = 40 percent bonus Flying Club miles
- Buy 100,000 to 150,000 Flying Club miles = 50 percent bonus Flying Club miles
Remember that each frequent travel loyalty program has partners through which you can redeem miles or points; so you are not confined just to the product offered by an airline or lodging company.
Also be sure to read the terms and conditions of each other. Typically, all sales are final: once you have purchased your miles or points through these sales, you cannot return your points; and your money cannot be refunded.
I am not an advocate of purchasing miles or points; but I have done so on rare occasions — and if you need to do so from the aforementioned frequent travel loyalty programs, now is the right time.
If this article is missing any offers of purchasing miles or points on sale, please let me know in the Comments section below. Thank you in advance…
…and until the next edition of this article is written, please keep checking back to this article, as more offers of purchasing miles or points on sale may be added.
All photographs ©2012, ©2015, ©2017, ©2018, and ©2020 by Brian Cohen.