Miles and Points On Sale — December 18 2020
Sometimes you need an infusion of miles or points to your membership account for whatever reason — perhaps to have enough to redeem for a limited time award as one example — and the best time to purchase miles or points is when they are on sale.
Miles and Points On Sale — December 18 2020
A sale may be a discount on the price required to purchase miles or points — or perhaps the frequent travel loyalty program from whom you are buying the miles or points will match your purchase up to 100 percent, which is another way of reducing the cost of miles or points.
Offers to purchase miles and points are not usually highlighted in their own articles here at The Gate. Rather, they are compiled in occasional articles such as this one so that you can shop for miles and points from different frequent travel loyalty programs conveniently in one spot.
The frequent travel loyalty programs which are featured in this edition of miles and points on sale are:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards Club
- Marriott Bonvoy
- Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Flying Blue
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- British Airways Executive Club
- Etihad Airways Etihad Guest
- Finnair Plus
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Hilton Honors: 100 Percent Bonus Points
You can receive a bonus of 100 percent on any purchase of a minimum of 10,000 Hilton Honors points — up to a maximum limit of 160,000 Hilton Honors points for $1,600.00, which is $0.005 per point when factoring in the bonus points — but you only have until Thursday, December 31, 2020 to take advantage of this offer.
World of Hyatt: 25 Percent Discount
Until Thursday, December 31, 2020, you can enjoy a discount of 25 percent on the purchase of a minimum of 5,000 points up to a maximum of 55,000 points — that is, spend $990.00 to receive a total of 55,000 World of Hyatt points instead of $1,320.00 — before taxes and fees.
IHG Rewards Club: Up to 75 Percent Bonus Points
You have until Thursday, December 31, 2020 to take advantage of receiving a bonus of up to 75 percent on IHG Rewards Club points with a minimum purchase of 2,000 IHG Rewards Club base points and up to a maximum limit of 250,000 IHG Rewards Club base points for $2,500.00 as follows:
- Buy 2,000 to 4,000 IHG Rewards Club base points = 65 percent bonus IHG Rewards Club bonus points
- Buy 5,000 to 250,000 IHG Rewards Club base points = 75 percent bonus IHG Rewards Club bonus points
Marriott Bonvoy: 50 Percent Bonus Points
You can buy a minimum of 2,000 Marriott Bonvoy points — up to a maximum total of 150,000 points for $1,875.00 — and get a bonus of 50 percent more points through Tuesday, December 22, 2020. Including the maximum bonus of 75,000 points, that means your final cost is slightly greater than $8.33 per 1,000 points. Marriott Bonvoy points typically cost $12.50 per 1,000 points.
Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airways Flying Blue: Up to 100 Percent Bonus Miles
Sharing the Flying Blue frequent flier loyalty program are Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Transavia, Aircalin, Kenya Airways, and TAROM — plus, you can redeem Flying Blue miles for flights operated by many partner airlines. Until Thursday, December 31, 2020, you can purchase a minimum of 2,000 Flying Blue miles and receive a bonus of up to 100 percent more miles as follows:
- Buy 2,000 to 10,000 Flying Blue miles = 50 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
- Buy 12,000 to 28,000 Flying Blue miles = 75 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
- Buy 30,000 Flying Blue miles = 100 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan: Up to 50 Percent Bonus Miles
The regular price for purchasing Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles is $27.50 per 1,000 miles; but until Wednesday, December 23, 2020, you can purchase a minimum of 3,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 50 percent more miles as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 29,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles = 40 percent bonus Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles
- Buy 30,000 to 100,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles = 50 percent bonus Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles
American Airlines AAdvantage: Gift Miles Up to 100 Percent Discount — or Purchase Miles Up to 50 Percent Discount
You can purchase or gift up to a maximum of 150,000 miles in order to receive a discount of up to 100 percent — that is a total of 300,000 AAdvantage miles for a cost of $5,250.00 or 1.75 cents per mile, which is not a bad deal — through Thursday, December 31, 2020 as follows:
- Buy or gift 10,000 to 19,000 AAdvantage miles = 10 percent discount
- Buy or gift 20,000 to 29,000 AAdvantage miles = 20 percent discount
- Buy or gift 30,000 to 39,000 AAdvantage miles = 30 percent discount
- Buy or gift 40,000 to 49,000 AAdvantage miles = 40 percent discount
- Buy or gift 50,000 to 59,000 AAdvantage miles = 50 percent discount
- Buy or gift 60,000 to 69,000 AAdvantage miles = 60 percent discount
- Buy or gift 70,000 to 79,000 AAdvantage miles = 70 percent discount
- Buy or gift 80,000 to 89,000 AAdvantage miles = 80 percent discount
- Buy or gift 90,000 to 99,000 AAdvantage miles = 90 percent discount
- Buy or gift 100,000 to 150,000 AAdvantage miles = 100 percent discount
British Airways Executive Club: 30 Percent Bonus Avios
Until Tuesday, February 2, 2021, you can purchase or gift a minimum of 1,000 Avios up to a maximum of 200,000 Avios and receive a bonus of 30 percent Avios — or receive up to 260,000 total Avios.
Etihad Airways Etihad Guest: Up to 20 Percent Bonus Miles
Until Tuesday, December 22, 2020, you can purchase a minimum of 20,000 Etihad Guest miles and receive up to 20 percent bonus miles with Etihad Airways — plus earn one tier qualifying mile for every five Etihad Guest miles which are purchased — as follows:
- Buy 20,000 to 39,000 Etihad Guest miles = 10 percent discount
- Buy 40,000 to 100,000 Etihad Guest miles = 20 percent discount
Finnair Plus: 40 Percent Discount
Qatar Airways Privilege Club: Save 30 Percent
You can buy or gift Qatar Airways Privilege Club miles and save 30 percent when your transaction is completed by Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 11:59 in the evening Arabian Standard Time or 3:59 in the afternoon Eastern Standard Time.
Remember that each frequent travel loyalty program has partners through which you can redeem miles or points; so you are not confined just to the product offered by an airline or lodging company.
Also be sure to read the terms and conditions of each other. Typically, all sales are final: once you have purchased your miles or points through these sales, you cannot return your points; and your money cannot be refunded.
I am not an advocate of purchasing miles or points; but I have done so on rare occasions — and if you need to do so from the aforementioned frequent travel loyalty programs, now is the right time.
If this article is missing any offers of purchasing miles or points on sale, please let me know in the Comments section below. Thank you in advance…
…and until the next edition of this article is written, please keep checking back to this article, as more offers of purchasing miles or points on sale may be added.
All photographs ©2012, ©2013, ©2015, ©2017, and ©2018 by Brian Cohen.