Miles and Points On Sale — February 17 2021
Sometimes you need an infusion of miles or points to your membership account for whatever reason — perhaps to have enough to redeem for a limited time award as one example — and the best time to purchase miles or points is when they are on sale.
Miles and Points On Sale — February 17 2021
A sale may be a discount on the price required to purchase miles or points — or perhaps the frequent travel loyalty program from whom you are buying the miles or points will match your purchase up to 100 percent, which is another way of reducing the cost of miles or points.
Offers to purchase miles and points are not usually highlighted in their own articles here at The Gate. Rather, they are compiled in occasional articles such as this one so that you can shop for miles and points from different frequent travel loyalty programs conveniently in one spot.
The frequent travel loyalty programs which are featured in this edition of miles and points on sale are:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards Club
- Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Flying Blue
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- Iberia Plus
- United Airlines MileagePlus
Hilton Honors: 100 Percent Bonus Points
You can receive a bonus of 100 percent on any purchase of a minimum of 10,000 Hilton Honors points — up to a maximum limit of 80,000 Hilton Honors points for $800.00, which is $0.005 per point when factoring in the bonus points — but you only have until Friday, March 5, 2021 to take advantage of this offer.
World of Hyatt: Up to 30 Percent Bonus Points
Until the end of the day, Tuesday, February 23, 2021, you can enjoy a bonus of 30 percent on the purchase of a minimum of 5,000 points up to a maximum of 55,000 points — that is, spend $1,320.00 to receive a total of 71,500 World of Hyatt points instead of 55,000 World of Hyatt points — before taxes and fees.
IHG Rewards Club: Up to 75 Percent Bonus Points
You have until Thursday, February 25, 2021 to take advantage of receiving a bonus of up to 75 percent on IHG Rewards Club points with a minimum purchase of 5,000 IHG Rewards Club base points and up to a maximum limit of 150,000 IHG Rewards Club base points for $5,500.00 as follows:
- Buy 5,000 to 14,000 IHG Rewards Club base points = 50 percent bonus IHG Rewards Club bonus points
- Buy 15,000 to 150,000 IHG Rewards Club base points = 75 percent bonus IHG Rewards Club bonus points
Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airways Flying Blue: Up to 100 Percent Bonus Miles
Sharing the Flying Blue frequent flier loyalty program are Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Transavia, Aircalin, Kenya Airways, and TAROM — plus, you can redeem Flying Blue miles for flights operated by many partner airlines. Until Sunday, February 28, 2021, you can purchase a minimum of 2,000 Flying Blue miles and receive a bonus of up to 75 percent more miles.
American Airlines AAdvantage: Up to 75 Percent Bonus Miles
You can purchase or gift up to a maximum of 150,000 miles in order to receive up to 75 percent bonus AAdvantage miles — that is a total of 262,500 AAdvantage miles for a cost of $5,643.75 or 2.15 cents per mile, which is not that great of a deal — through the end of the day on Sunday, February 28, 2021 as follows:
- Buy or gift 5,000 to 24,000 AAdvantage miles = 20 percent bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy or gift 25,000 to 49,000 AAdvantage miles = 30 percent bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy or gift 50,000 to 74,000 AAdvantage miles = 40 percent bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy or gift 75,000 to 99,000 AAdvantage miles = 50 percent bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy or gift 100,000 to 124,000 AAdvantage miles = 60 percent bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy or gift 125,000 to 149,000 AAdvantage miles = 70 percent bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy or gift 150,000 to 150,000 AAdvantage miles = 75 percent bonus AAdvantage miles
Iberia Plus: 50 Percent Bonus Avios
Until Monday, March 1, 2021, you can purchase up to a maximum of 200,000 miles and receive a bonus of 50 percent Iberia Avios — but the minimum purchase is 2,000 Iberia Avios.
United Airlines MileagePlus: Up to 75 Percent Bonus Miles
Until the end of the day on Thursday, February 25, 2021, you can purchase or gift up to a maximum of 100,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 75 percent more MileagePlus miles as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 14,000 MileagePlus miles = 30 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 15,000 to 34,000 MileagePlus miles = 50 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 35,000 to 100,000 MileagePlus miles = 75 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
Remember that each frequent travel loyalty program has partners through which you can redeem miles or points; so you are not confined just to the product offered by an airline or lodging company.
Also be sure to read the terms and conditions of each other. Typically, all sales are final: once you have purchased your miles or points through these sales, you cannot return your points; and your money cannot be refunded.
I am not an advocate of purchasing miles or points; but I have done so on rare occasions — and if you need to do so from the aforementioned frequent travel loyalty programs, now is the right time.
If this article is missing any offers of purchasing miles or points on sale, please let me know in the Comments section below. Thank you in advance…
…and until the next edition of this article is written, please keep checking back to this article, as more offers of purchasing miles or points on sale may be added.
All photographs ©2012, ©2016, ©2017, ©2018, and ©2020 by Brian Cohen.