Miles and Points On Sale — May 4 2020
Sometimes you need an infusion of miles or points to your membership account for whatever reason — perhaps to have enough to redeem for a limited time award as one example — and the best time to purchase miles or points is when they are on sale.
Miles and Points On Sale — May 4 2020
A sale may be a discount on the price required to purchase miles or points — or perhaps the frequent travel loyalty program from whom you are buying the miles or points will match your purchase up to 100 percent, which is another way of reducing the cost of miles or points.
The frequent travel loyalty programs which are featured in this edition of miles and points on sale are:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- United Airlines MileagePlus
Hilton Honors: 100 Percent Bonus Points
You can receive a bonus of 100 percent on any purchase of a minimum of 10,000 Hilton Honors points — up to a maximum limit of 160,000 Hilton Honors points for $800.00, which is $0.005 per point when factoring in the bonus points — but you only have until Wednesday, May 27, 2020 to take advantage of this offer.
World of Hyatt: 30 Percent Bonus Points
Until Saturday, May 10, 2020, you can purchase up to a maximum of 55,000 miles and receive a bonus of 35 percent — that is, spend $1,320.00 to receive a total of 71,500 World of Hyatt points — before taxes and fees.
You can purchase as few as 5,000 World of Hyatt points to qualify for the bonus of 30 percent.
American Airlines AAdvantage: Up to 100,000 Bonus Miles Plus a Discount
You can purchase up to a maximum of 150,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 100,000 AAdvantage miles — that is a total of 250,000 AAdvantage miles for a cost of $4,650.66 or slightly greater than 1.86 cents per mile — through Sunday, May 31, 2020 as follows:
- Buy 2,000 to 14,000 AAdvantage miles = 15 percent discount with no bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 15,000 to 29,000 AAdvantage miles = 5,000 bonus AAdvantage miles plus a discount of five percent
- Buy 30,000 to 49,000 AAdvantage miles = 15,000 bonus AAdvantage miles plus a discount of five percent
- Buy 50,000 to 69,000 AAdvantage miles = 25,000 bonus AAdvantage miles plus a discount of five percent
- Buy 70,000 to 120,000 AAdvantage miles = 50,000 bonus AAdvantage miles plus a discount of five percent
- Buy 121,000 to 149,000 AAdvantage miles = 75,000 bonus AAdvantage miles plus a discount of five percent
- Buy 150,000 AAdvantage miles = 100,000 bonus AAdvantage miles plus a discount of three percent
United Airlines MileagePlus: Up to 100 Percent Bonus Miles
Until the end of the day Thursday, May 14, 2020, you can purchase up to a maximum of 87,500 miles and receive a bonus of MileagePlus miles as follows:
- Buy 5,000 to 14,000 MileagePlus miles = 30 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 15,000 to 39,000 MileagePlus miles = 50 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 40,000 to 87,500 MileagePlus miles = 100 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
Remember that each frequent travel loyalty program has partners through which you can redeem miles or points; so you are not confined just to the product offered by an airline or lodging company.
Also be sure to read the terms and conditions of each other. Typically, all sales are final: once you have purchased your miles or points through these sales, you cannot return your points; and your money cannot be refunded.
I am not an advocate of purchasing miles or points; but I have done so on rare occasions — and if you need to do so from the aforementioned frequent travel loyalty programs, now is the right time.
If this article is missing any offers of purchasing miles or points on sale, please let me know in the Comments section below. Thank you in advance…
…and until the next edition of this article is written, please keep checking back to this article, as more offers of purchasing miles or points on sale may be added.
All photographs ©2012, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017 and ©2018 by Brian Cohen.