Miles and Points On Sale — November 11 2020
Sometimes you need an infusion of miles or points to your membership account for whatever reason — perhaps to have enough to redeem for a limited time award as one example — and the best time to purchase miles or points is when they are on sale.
Miles and Points On Sale — November 11 2020
A sale may be a discount on the price required to purchase miles or points — or perhaps the frequent travel loyalty program from whom you are buying the miles or points will match your purchase up to 100 percent, which is another way of reducing the cost of miles or points.
Offers to purchase miles and points are not usually highlighted in their own articles here at The Gate. Rather, they are compiled in occasional articles such as this one so that you can shop for miles and points from different frequent travel loyalty programs conveniently in one spot.
The frequent travel loyalty programs which are featured in this edition of miles and points on sale are:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- IHG Rewards Club
- Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Flying Blue
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- Finnair Plus
- United Airlines MileagePlus
Hilton Honors: 100 Percent Bonus Points
You can receive a bonus of 100 percent on any purchase of a minimum of 10,000 Hilton Honors points — up to a maximum limit of 160,000 Hilton Honors points for $1,600.00, which is $0.005 per point when factoring in the bonus points — but you only have until Thursday, December 31, 2020 to take advantage of this offer.
World of Hyatt: 30 Percent Bonus Points
Until Tuesday, November 24, 2020, you can enjoy a bonus of 30 percent on a purchase of a minimum of 5,000 points up to a maximum of 55,000 points — that is, spend $1,320.00 to receive a total of 71,500 World of Hyatt points instead of 55,000 World of Hyatt points — before taxes and fees.
IHG Rewards Club: 40 Percent Discount
You have until Friday, November 13, 2020 to take advantage of receiving a discount of 40 percent on IHG Rewards Club points with a minimum purchase of 3,000 IHG Rewards Club base points and up to a maximum limit of 250,000 IHG Rewards Club base points for $1,500.00.
Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airways Flying Blue: Up to 100 Percent Bonus Miles
Sharing the Flying Blue frequent flier loyalty program are Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Transavia, Aircalin, Kenya Airways, and TAROM — plus, you can redeem Flying Blue miles for flights operated by many partner airlines. Until Thursday, December 31, 2020, you can purchase a minimum of 2,000 Flying Blue miles and receive a bonus of up to 100 percent more miles as follows:
- Buy 2,000 to 10,000 Flying Blue miles = 50 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
- Buy 12,000 to 28,000 Flying Blue miles = 75 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
- Buy 30,000 Flying Blue miles = 100 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
American Airlines AAdvantage: Up to 35 Percent Discount
You can purchase or gift up to a maximum of 150,000 miles in order to receive a discount of up to 35 percent — that is a total of 150,000 AAdvantage miles for a cost of $3,412.50 or 2.275 cents per mile, which is not a good deal — through Thursday, November 26, 2020 as follows:
- Buy 5,000 to 14,000 AAdvantage miles = 5 percent discount
- Buy 15,000 to 24,000 AAdvantage miles = 10 percent discount
- Buy 25,000 to 34,000 AAdvantage miles = 15 percent discount
- Buy 35,000 to 49,000 AAdvantage miles = 20 percent discount
- Buy 50,000 to 74,000 AAdvantage miles = 25 percent discount
- Buy 75,000 to 99,000 AAdvantage miles = 30 percent discount
- Buy 100,000 to 150,000 AAdvantage miles = 35 percent discount
Finnair Plus: Up to 100 Percent Bonus Points — Plus Earn 25 Percent Of Purchased Points As Elite Qualifying
You can purchase or gift up to a maximum of 150,000 Finnair Plus points in order to receive up to 100 percent bonus points through Monday, November 16, 2020 — plus receive 25 percent in elite tier bonus points towards earning elite status for next year on the total award point transaction amount — as follows:
- Buy 5,000 to 49,000 Finnair Plus points = 60 percent bonus Finnair Plus points
- Buy 50,000 to 99,000 Finnair Plus points = 80 percent bonus Finnair Plus points
- Buy 100,000 to 150,000 Finnair Plus points = 100 percent bonus Finnair Plus points
United Airlines MileagePlus: Up to 85 Percent Bonus Miles
Until the end of the day Thursday, November 19, 2020, you can purchase up to a maximum of 94,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 85 percent more MileagePlus miles as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 14,000 MileagePlus miles = 40 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 15,000 to 29,000 MileagePlus miles = 60 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 30,000 to 94,000 MileagePlus miles = 85 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
Remember that each frequent travel loyalty program has partners through which you can redeem miles or points; so you are not confined just to the product offered by an airline or lodging company.
Also be sure to read the terms and conditions of each other. Typically, all sales are final: once you have purchased your miles or points through these sales, you cannot return your points; and your money cannot be refunded.
I am not an advocate of purchasing miles or points; but I have done so on rare occasions — and if you need to do so from the aforementioned frequent travel loyalty programs, now is the right time.
If this article is missing any offers of purchasing miles or points on sale, please let me know in the Comments section below. Thank you in advance…
…and until the next edition of this article is written, please keep checking back to this article, as more offers of purchasing miles or points on sale may be added.
All photographs ©2012, ©2013, ©2017, and ©2018 by Brian Cohen.