Miles and Points On Sale — September 15 2020
Sometimes you need an infusion of miles or points to your membership account for whatever reason — perhaps to have enough to redeem for a limited time award as one example — and the best time to purchase miles or points is when they are on sale.
Miles and Points On Sale — September 15 2020
A sale may be a discount on the price required to purchase miles or points — or perhaps the frequent travel loyalty program from whom you are buying the miles or points will match your purchase up to 100 percent, which is another way of reducing the cost of miles or points.
The frequent travel loyalty programs which are featured in this edition of miles and points on sale are:
- Hilton Honors
- World of Hyatt
- Marriott Bonvoy
- Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Flying Blue
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- United Airlines
Hilton Honors: 100 Percent Bonus Points
You can receive a bonus of 100 percent on any purchase of a minimum of 5,000 Hilton Honors points — up to a maximum limit of 80,000 Hilton Honors points for $800.00, which is $0.005 per point when factoring in the bonus points — but you only have until Sunday, September 20, 2020 to take advantage of this offer.
World of Hyatt: 25 Percent Discount
Until Wednesday, September 30, 2020, you can enjoy a discount of 25 percent on a purchase of a minimum of 5,000 points up to a maximum of 55,000 points — that is, spend $990.00 instead of $1,320.00 to receive a total of 55,000 World of Hyatt points — before taxes and fees.
Marriott Bonvoy: 50 Percent Bonus
You can buy a minimum of 2,000 Marriott Bonvoy points — up to a maximum total of 150,000 points for $1,875.00 — and get a bonus of 50 percent more points through Tuesday, October 22, 2020. Including the maximum bonus of 75,000 points, that means your final cost is slightly greater than $8.33 per 1,000 points. Marriott Bonvoy points typically cost $12.50 per 1,000 points.
Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airways Flying Blue: Up to 100 Percent Bonus Miles
Sharing the Flying Blue frequent flier loyalty program are Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Transavia, Aircalin, Kenya Airways, and TAROM — plus, you can redeem Flying Blue miles for flights operated by many partner airlines. Until Thursday, December 31, 2020, you can purchase a minimum of 2,000 Flying Blue miles and receive a bonus of up to 100 percent more miles as follows:
- Buy 2,000 to 10,000 Flying Blue miles = 50 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
- Buy 12,000 to 28,000 Flying Blue miles = 75 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
- Buy 30,000 Flying Blue miles = 100 percent bonus Flying Blue miles
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan: Up to 50 Percent Bonus Miles
The regular price for purchasing Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles is $27.50 per 1,000 miles; but until Sunday, September 20, 2020, you can purchase a minimum of 3,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 50 percent more miles as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 14,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles = 40 percent discount
- Buy 15,000 to 100,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles = 50 percent discount
American Airlines AAdvantage: Up to 100 Percent Bonus Miles
You can purchase or gift up to a maximum of 150,000 miles in order to receive up to 100 percent bonus miles — that is a total of 250,000 AAdvantage miles for a cost of $4,554.77 or slightly greater than 1.8 cents per mile — through Wednesday, September 30, 2020 as follows:
- Buy 15,000 to 25,000 AAdvantage miles = 5,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 26,000 to 39,000 AAdvantage miles = 10,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 40,000 to 59,000 AAdvantage miles = 15,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 60,000 to 74,000 AAdvantage miles = 25,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 75,000 to 89,000 AAdvantage miles = 35,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 90,000 to 99,000 AAdvantage miles = 50,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 100,000 to 124,000 AAdvantage miles = 60,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 125,000 to 149,000 AAdvantage miles = 80,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
- Buy 150,000 AAdvantage miles = 100,000 bonus AAdvantage miles
United Airlines MileagePlus: Up to 75 Percent Bonus Miles
Until the end of the day Thursday, September 24, 2020, you can purchase up to a maximum of 100,000 miles and receive a bonus of up to 75 percent more MileagePlus miles as follows:
- Buy 3,000 to 9,000 MileagePlus miles = 30 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 10,000 to 29,000 MileagePlus miles = 50 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
- Buy 30,000 to 100,000 MileagePlus miles = 75 percent bonus MileagePlus miles
Remember that each frequent travel loyalty program has partners through which you can redeem miles or points; so you are not confined just to the product offered by an airline or lodging company.
Also be sure to read the terms and conditions of each other. Typically, all sales are final: once you have purchased your miles or points through these sales, you cannot return your points; and your money cannot be refunded.
I am not an advocate of purchasing miles or points; but I have done so on rare occasions — and if you need to do so from the aforementioned frequent travel loyalty programs, now is the right time.
If this article is missing any offers of purchasing miles or points on sale, please let me know in the Comments section below. Thank you in advance…
…and until the next edition of this article is written, please keep checking back to this article, as more offers of purchasing miles or points on sale may be added.
All photographs ©2012, ©2013, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, and ©2018 by Brian Cohen.