Second Bag Fee Increased to $100 on American Airlines
Get ready for another possible round of fee increases pertaining to the second bag checked for a flight — starting with American Airlines, which as of June 6, 2013 quietly increased the fee from $60.00 to $100.00 for a passenger assigned to a seat in the economy class cabin to check a second bag in each direction when you travel between the United States and the following destinations:
- The United States Virgin Islands
- Puerto Rico
- The Caribbean region
- Central America
- South America — excluding Brazil
The first bag may still be checked free of charge — and, of course, the baggage must be within the size and weight limitations; otherwise, extra fees will apply.
Here is a list of exceptions of passengers who will be exempt from being charged a fee for the second checked bag — provided that it falls within the size and weight limitations:
- Customers traveling to or from destinations in Brazil, Chile, Peru and Asia
- Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in economy class cabin
- Customers who purchase tickets in the business class or first class cabins — and they can check three bags at no charge when traveling on American Airlines or connecting with British Airways or Iberia
- Active military personnel of the United States traveling on orders or personal travel
- Dependents of active military personnel of the United States traveling on orders
- American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program members who have earned Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold elite status
- Alaska Airlines frequent flier loyalty program members who have earned MVP Gold 75K, MVP Gold and MVP elite status
- Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby elite members of the oneworld alliance
- Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program member who have earned Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold elite status; or an Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby elite member of the oneworld alliance regardless of frequent flier status or fare type — although this is not applicable to group bookings
- MileSAAver Awards for seats in the business class or first class cabins
- AAnytime Awards for seats in the economy class, business class or first class cabins
- Confirmed upgrades prior to checking in in the business class or first class cabins
The aforementioned free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle, and AmericanConnection. However, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier may apply on codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
The changes apply for travel on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection.
If you are disappointed that I did not write a song parody for this latest fee increase like I did for the ones pertaining to the change fees for American Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Delta Air Lines, cheer up, as I will leave you with a now-popular song parody authored by FlyerTalk member HongKonger about the change in beverages in the Sky Clubs operated by Delta Air Lines.