New Hilton Price Match Guarantee Replaces Best Rate Guarantee
Hilton has replaced its Best Rate Guarantee with a new Price Match Guarantee with which if you find a lower qualified price on another Internet web site, “we will be happy to match it” and give you 25 percent off of that stay — and all you have to do is compare, submit and match.
New Hilton Price Match Guarantee Replaces Best Rate Guarantee
If you find a lower qualified price for the same accommodation and terms at any point prior to booking your reservation — or up to a maximum of 24 hours after booking your reservation — through one of the official booking channels of Hilton, the lower price will be honored and an additional 25 percent will be taken off of the room rate for each night of your stay.
When multiple room rates for the same accommodations are available through the official booking channels of Hilton, you must have booked the lowest rate to be eligible for the Price Match Guarantee.
Two Ways to Submit Your Claim
How you submit your claim is up to you, as you may:
- Submit via the online claim form here up to 24 hours after you book your reservation.
- The name on the claim form must match the name on the reservation for each room.
- Only one claim may be submitted for each reservation.
- You will receive an e-mail message confirmation or telephone call within 24 hours after the receipt of your claim by Hilton.
- Contact any of the agents of the official contact centers of Hilton to submit the claim via the telephone.
- Call either:
- 1-800-445-8667 or 1-800-HILTONS if you are calling from the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico or the United States Virgin Islands.
- 00 800 888 44 888 from international locations and ask for Reservations.
- Otherwise, contact the local reservations office for your region.
- This option is required for claims without a reservation confirmation number and for claims submitted the day before arrival or the day of arrival.
- Call either:
Official Booking Channels of Hilton
The official booking channels of Hilton are as follows:
- Any official Hilton Internet web site
- Any official Hilton call center
- The official mobile software application program of Hilton Honors
- Directly at a Hilton hotel or resort property
- Directly through an Accredited Travel Agent, who is a travel professional accredited by a bona fide travel organization or association, to the extent that he or she is booking rates carrying Hilton Honors benefits through a Hilton channel or through Amadeus, Apollo/Galileo, Worldspan or Sabre. “Accredited Travel Agents” does not include online travel agencies. Bona fide travel organizations and associations are IATA (the International Air Transport Association), TIDS, ARC, TSI, CLIA, ERSP, SATO and TRUE.
Definition of Lower Qualified Price
A lower qualified price must fulfill each of the following criteria:
- A lower price you find on a booking channel which is not one of the official Hilton booking channels.
- Must be for the same accommodations and terms as your current booking through one of the official booking channels of Hilton.
- Price must be without restriction — meaning that it is viewable and can be booked by anyone.
Types of Prices Which Do Not Qualify
The following list contains examples of the types of prices which do not meet the criteria of a lower qualified price:
- Price is reflective of different accommodations or terms, such as:
- Different room type — You booked a queen room and this price is for a king room
- Different hotel — You booked Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills and this price is for The Beverly Hilton
- Room with a different view — You booked a room with a full ocean view and this price is for a partial ocean view
- Includes different amenities — You booked a room with a $25.00 on-property credit and this price is for a room plus free breakfast and premium Wi-Fi
- Check In or Check Out dates which are different — You booked a room checking in on August 25, 2018 and checking out on August 31, 2018, but this price is for a room checking in on August 26, 2018 and checking out on August 31, 2018
- Number of guests is different — You booked a room for two adults and two children, but this price is for a room for two adults only
- Difference in terms — You booked a fully refundable room but this price is for a room with a 100 percent credit card deposit required upfront
- Price has limitations or restrictions on how it is displayed or booked:
- Prices on Internet web sites which do not disclose the brand or hotel until the reservation is completed — When a site has you search and book a room without knowing the brand or hotel and only after you have booked does the site disclose the hotel name and brand
- Reservations which have been booked that do not provide an immediate confirmation upon submitting the reservation request — A site provides you a notice telling you that they have received your request to book, but the booking confirmation number will be provided at some point in the future
- Prices which require a special membership or affiliation to book — Such as member-only prices, corporate negotiated business travel prices, Hilton Team Member prices
- Prices which require a login, credit card number or code to view — Any site that requires a login or credit card number prior to viewing or booking the prices
- Prices which cannot be booked — For example, an advertisement that does not have a direct link to booking
- Prices which are reflective of unauthorized reselling of a confirmed reservation — Unauthorized reselling means reselling an existing booking that was already booked under the name of someone else
Claim Review Process
When submitting an online claim form, Hilton will attempt to independently validate your claim within 24 hours after you submit a claim with all required details.
When making a claim over the telephone, Hilton will try to independently validate your claim immediately.
The same accommodations must be available for booking at a qualifying lower price in the currency of the hotel when Hilton validates your claim.
Price comparisons will be made net of taxes, gratuities, service charges, early departure fees, or other fees and incidental charges, and will exclude changes in currency exchange rates.
For stays longer than one night, the Price Match Guarantee will be evaluated based on the total room price for the entire stay.
Hilton may deny claims if the percentage difference between the price booked through the official Hilton booking channel and the qualifying lower price is one percent or less.
Hilton may deny claims if it believes that the Price Match Guarantee is being intentionally abused or manipulated to circumvent its intent.
If Your Claim is Officially Approved by Hilton…
If the availability and eligibility of the qualifying lower price is verified, the qualifying lower price will be matched and an additional 25 percent will be taken off of the room rate for each night of your stay for the entire reservation.
In that case, Hilton will adjust the rate on the reservation to the qualifying lowest price that Hilton is able to verify, which may be different than the price that was submitted on the claim form.
The room price change is not effective until you receive an e-mail message confirmation from Hilton reflecting the new room price.
The guest who makes any reservation will be responsible for all costs, expenses and fees associated with such reservation — such as cancellation fees — regardless of whether a Price Match Guarantee claim is denied.
A claim may be invalidated if you make any changes to the reservation after the claim is submitted and approved.
Other Select Terms and Conditions
This offer is void where prohibited by law. Hilton may modify or discontinue the Price Match Guarantee or these terms and conditions at any time in its sole discretion — with or without notice.
These terms apply to claims submitted on or after Friday, September 28, 2018.
All Hampton by Hilton hotel properties in the People’s Republic of China — which is also known as mainland China — are currently excluded from the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program and therefore from the Price Match Guarantee.
Other terms and conditions — including those of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program — apply.
The Expect Better. Expect Hilton. Initiative and Advertising Campaign
The new Price Match Guarantee is part of the Expect Better. Expect Hilton. initiative. After speaking with thousands of travelers both in the United States and abroad, Hilton learned that many travelers have been conditioned to expect less and approach planning with skepticism. The initiative directly addresses these frustrations travelers face when booking their hotel stay by taking a stand for consumers who desire more flexibility, better perks and on-property experiences, with reassurance that they are getting the best price. It is also designed to drive home the benefit of a direct relationship that provides better value to customers and owners, alike.
The Expect Better. Expect Hilton. initiative includes this new advertising campaign starring actress Anna Kendrick.
I had been successful in the past with the former Best Rate Guarantee, which could potentially have been a difficult and arduous process. The new Price Match Guarantee seems to be simpler — and reservation specialists are available around the clock to help if you have questions.
The Price Match Guarantee may possibly be more rewarding as well. At one time, Hilton guaranteed with the former Best Rate Guarantee that if you book a reservation on an official Hilton Family Internet web site — through Hilton Reservations Worldwide or directly at a Hilton Family hotel and then find a lower rate on some other booking channel — it would be matched; plus you would be given an American Express Gift Cheque worth $50.00, subject to certain terms and conditions. If your reservation is worth at least $200.00 — excluding taxes and fees — the new Price Match Guarantee should more rewarding to you…
…and besides, even if it was not as lucrative, I would rather have the discount and cash back in my pocket than a gift cheque which may not be accepted everywhere.
I also see no indication in the terms and conditions that so-called “opaque” Internet web sites — such as Priceline and Hotwire, through which the hotel brand and specific hotel or resort property are not known until the reservation is booked — are excluded from the Price Match Guarantee, as they were from the former Best Rate Guarantee.
Finally, you are no longer required to book a pre-paid reservation in advance which cannot be refunded in order to submit your claim, which was a gamble at best for many members of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program.
With the new Price Match Guarantee, Hilton now arguably has the best room rate guarantee in the lodging industry — but that can only be confirmed in actual real-world application; and I currently do not have a reservation booked in which to test this new guarantee…
…so I am asking you to test it in real time; and please report the results in the Comments section below. I then intend to follow up on this article.
The Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre is one of the thousands of hotel and resort properties through which you can submit a claim through the new Price Match Guarantee. Please click here for a detailed review of this hotel property. All photographs ©2017 and ©2018 by Brian Cohen.
Please note that I receive compensation for affiliate links posted at The Gate effective as of Sunday, January 1, 2017. You are not required to use these affiliate links; but if you do use them, your support of The Gate is greatly appreciated — and using affiliate links will not cost you any extra time or money.