Proof That AAdvantage Miles are Worth More Than Mileage Plan Miles? The Miles to Anywhere Sweepstakes
T here are two identical sweepstakes being offered by the frequent flier loyalty programs of American Airlines and Alaska Airlines — one ends tomorrow and the other recently began, respectively — and eShopping; and it seems that AAdvantage miles are worth more than Mileage Plan miles.
According to the terms and conditions of both sweepstakes, the approximate retail value of 20,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles is $398.00; while the approximate retail value of 20,000 Alaska Airlines MileagePlan miles is $387.00 — meaning that each AAdvantage mile is worth 1.99 cents; whereas each MileagePlan mile is worth 1.935 cents.
Your Chance to Win 100,000 Mileage Plan Miles in the Miles to Anywhere Sweepstakes
This is your chance to win 100,000 MileagePlan miles and $2,500.00 as a grand prize; or you could be one of three winners — each of whom will receive 20,000 MileagePlan miles — in the Miles to Anywhere Sweepstakes from the Alaska Airlines MileagePlan frequent flier loyalty program and eShopping.
You may receive a total of 706 entries during the promotion period by combining the methods of entries listed below. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same MileagePlan membership account number.
You may only receive one entry during the promotion period — which ends on Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 11:59 in the evening Eastern Daylight Time — by becoming a member of the MileagePlan eShopping mall; or simply by registering for the sweepstakes if you are already a member.
Additional entries for a qualified purchase are limited to 25 per day or five qualified purchases; and you may receive additional entries into the sweepstakes by taking the following actions:
- Subscribe to receive Mileage Plan eShopping mall marketing communications. After you register, you may be asked to sign up to receive marketing communications via e-mail message. If you agree to receive these communications and — or if you do not “unsubscribe” from e-mail communications if you are already receiving them — you will receive five additional entries into the sweepstakes as long as you remain opted in as of Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 11:59 in the evening Eastern Daylight Time. You will only receive five entries during the promotion period for subscribing to communications via e-mail messages.
- Purchase items via the Mileage Plan eShopping mall on the Internet. Visit the official Internet web site of the Mileage Plan eShopping mall and execute a qualifying purchase as defined by the terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan eShopping mall program with a participating merchant where the total cost of the item or items purchased — excluding shipping and taxes — is at least $50.00. Multiple items purchased during one day with a single merchant — regardless of whether purchased in one or multiple transactions — are deemed a single qualifying purchase and must meet the minimum value of $50.00. You will receive five additional entries into the sweepstakes for each qualifying purchase by you. Gift cards may not count as a qualifying purchase. There is no limit on the number of purchases effected by you. You may only earn entries for five qualifying purchase per day during the promotion period; but each qualifying purchase must be with a different merchant; therefore, there is a maximum of 25 entries per day.
- Earn additional entries without purchase or opting in to marketing communications. If you do not wish to subscribe to receive marketing communications via e-mail messages or purchase an item from a merchant, you can mail in your entry and earn five entries for each mail-in entry received by following these steps:
- Hand print on a 3″ x 5″ piece of paper your:
- Day and evening telephone numbers
- E-mail address
- AAdvantage membership account number
- Date of birth
- Mail it in an envelope — each mail-in entry must be sent in a separate envelope — with proper postage to:
- Hand print on a 3″ x 5″ piece of paper your:
Miles to Anywhere Sweepstakes
P.O. Box 5054
Kalamazoo, MI 49003-5054
Prizes cannot be transferred; and there will be no substitutions except as provided herein at the sole discretion of the sponsor.
There are a total of four prizes — whose approximate retail value is $5,684.00 — to be won, with a limit of one prize per person:
- One grand prize of 100,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles will be credited to the Mileage Plan account of the winner, who will also receive a check for $2,500.00. The approximate retail value of this prize is $4,435.00.
- Three first prizes of 20,000 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles will be credited to the Mileage Plan account of the winner. The approximate retail value of this prize is $387.00.
Select Official Rules, Terms and Conditions
There is no purchase or payment of any kind necessary to enter this sweepstakes, as a purchase or payment of any kind will not increase your chances of winning — but you must be a legal resident of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who is at least 18 years old and is also a member of the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan frequent flier loyalty program.
This sweepstakes is void where prohibited.
Other official rules, terms and conditions apply — be sure that you read all of them carefully and agree with them before participating in the sweepstakes — which include but are not limited to those dealing with the topics of:
- Privacy and personal information
- Release and limitations of liability
- Selection and verification of winners
- Winner notification procedure
- Disqualification of participants
- Tax liability
- Technical issues
- Legal waivers and statements
- Unclaimed prizes
- How to find out the name of the grand prize winner
- What can potentally happen in the event of a dispute
- Burden of proof of submission of entry
- Typographical errors
- Other disclaimers and conditions of participation
While receiving a total of 706 entries may increase your chances of winning any of the four prizes, it only takes one entry to have a chance to win; and if you do not participate in this sweepstakes, you have no chance of winning at all — and you can always cancel any subscriptions via e-mail message after the sweepstakes has concluded…
…and as to whether or not American Airlines AAdvantage miles are truly worth more than Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles — well…that is for you to decide.
Photograph ©2014 by Brian Cohen.