United Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
“Now, if only other frequent travel loyalty programs would follow suit with similar extension policies — and I understand that the United Airlines MileagePlus frequent flier loyalty program just announced one of their own, which will be covered in an article here at The Gate shortly.”
United Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
The paragraph you just read was from this article at The Gate pertaining to Delta Air Lines extending Medallion elite level status and benefits for everyone due to the impact on travel by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic; and United Airlines has announced similar policies, according to this article at The Hub.
The latest information from United Airlines pertains to updates with regards to the extensions of elite level status and benefits for everyone.
Status of Benefits of Premier Elite Level Status
Your benefits are automatically being extended with no effort or input required on your part as a member of the United Airlines MileagePlus frequent flier loyalty program — including:
- Current 2020 Premier elite level status will be extended to Monday, January 31, 2022, if you have it. At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published elite level status next year that you currently have today, up to Premier 1K. Extension of Premier elite level status to Monday, January 31, 2022 applies to all MileagePlus members who met the published criteria of the MileagePlus membership program in 2019, status associated with the United/Marriott RewardsPlus program, and status offered as part of a sales nomination. Premier elite level status granted from other programs and policies may not apply.
- Earning Premier elite level status will be easier in 2021 for the 2022 program year, as getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members of the MileagePlus membership program — but details will not be shared until later this year.
- Thresholds for Premier elite level status qualification are being reduced by 50 percent for each status level for the 2021 status year to ensure that earning an even higher elite status tier is easier — but you will still need to fly as a passenger for a minimum of four flight segments on flights operated by United Airlines or United Express.
|2021 Status||Earn Premier Qualifying Flights||…and Premier Qualifying Points
||…or Meet a Higher Premier Qualifying Point Goal|
In addition — via a promotion from Friday, May 1, 2020 through Thursday, December 31, 2020 to help in achieving a higher level of Premier elite level status, with more details forthcoming — the maximum number of Premier Qualifying Points which can be earned during the year 2020 are:
- Doubled for United Explorer cards
- Quadruped for the United Club cards
Other benefits which are being extended or improved include:
- The ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist has been increased for 1K and Platinum Premier elite level status members, which means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before Sunday, January 31, 2021. Skip Waitlist was introduced last year on select flights as a benefit to 1K members for more opportunities for you to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking your ticket. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.
- All annual membership and subscription benefits are being extended by six months to ensure that your benefits are still there when you are ready to start flying again — which is why purchased United Club memberships and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus, United Wi-Fi and checked bags have all been extended by six months. You should see this reflected in your MileagePlus membership account soon.
- All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used. If your travel plans have been disrupted and you have an electronic travel certificate from United Airlines for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight — as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
- Some redeposit fees have been removed for the rest of the year, as United Airlines is:
- Currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
- Now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations implemented greater than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.
As with recent announcements from such frequent travel loyalty programs as Hilton Honors, World of Hyatt, and Delta Air Lines SkyMiles, the team members of United Airlines seem to be doing whatever they can to provide maximum flexibility to you and other customers — as well as members of the MileagePlus frequent flier loyalty program.
Other frequent travel loyalty programs which have not yet implemented similar relaxed extension policies — such as Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan and IHG Rewards Club — should follow suit.
This article is the latest in a series pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus — which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2 — pandemic in an effort to get the facts out with information derived from reliable sources…
…as well as attempt to maintain a reasoned and sensible ongoing discussion towards how to resolve this pandemic.
Other articles at The Gate which pertain to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus include:
- Headspace Meditation and Mindfulness Trial Offer With World of Hyatt
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon or Less April 5 2020 in the United States?
- Delta Air Lines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Delta Air Lines Extends Ability to Rebook Up to 2 Years on Travel Impacted by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Cyber Security Scam Alert Issued by the World Health Organization
- Hyatt Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Return to the United States NOW or Stay Abroad Indefinitely, Department of State Warns Citizens
- Face Covering? No Face Mask? Why Seemingly Conflicting Information From Two Reliable Sources
- No New Passport Applications Accepted Except for Emergency Situations Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Airlines are Obligated to Provide Prompt Refunds to Customers: Enforcement Notice 2020 From the Department of Transportation of the United States
- Should We Shut Down the World Every Three Years? Setting a Precedent With 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus is Not an April Fool’s Day Joke, Unfortunately
- Why You Should NOT Skip Credit Card Payments During the Pandemic
- Are Some Room Rates Not Being Reduced Because of Discrimination?
- What is the Difference Between Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sanitizing?
- One Way Rental Car Offers in the United States 2020 — 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for Less Than 90 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Get 10 Percent Additional Value When Exchanging for Future Travel Voucher With Qatar Airways
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 34: Coronavirus Edition
- Is Sheltering in Place Ordinance Unconstitutional? Man Sues Local Government
- One Illogically Irrational Aspect of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic is…
- Updated Policies of 23 Lodging Companies Worldwide: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- More States Where You Can Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon
- Do You Miss Dining on Airline Food? This Can Help…
- Do Not Read This Article. Take a Walk Instead. If You Can.
- Hilton Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 5 Reasons Why I Have Not Changed Anything Despite 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Revealing Parts of My Body to Help With Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- 2 Reliable Resources of Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Most Restaurants Now Offer Free Delivery. What About the Gratuity?
- Most Trusted Traveler Programs Enrollment Temporarily Suspended Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Have We Become a Society of Wimps Addicted to Drama?
- Four Overused Terms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Era
- Several Rental Car Companies Waive Young Adult Fees Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- National Park Service Suspends All Entrance Fees Due To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Passport Services Delayed Beyond 8 Weeks; Expedited Passport Services Suspended Indefinitely
- Global Level 4 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 30: Coronavirus Edition
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: An Updated Comprehensive List
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus: Should You Travel Within the United States?
- $250 Billion Bailout Requested by Lodging Companies
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: A Comprehensive List
- $50 Billion Bailout Requested by Airlines; Trump to “Back the Airlines 100%”
- Global Level 3 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- All Domestic Travel Banned For Personnel of Department of Defense of the United States
- March 15 2020: Checking Back In on 2019 Novel Coronavirus — My Opinions, If Anyone Cares
- Hotel Deploys Robots to Sanitize and Disinfect Rooms
- Ireland and the United Kingdom Added to Suspension for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days From Europe to the United States
- Change Fee and Cancellation Fee Policies and Waivers of 46 Airlines Due To 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Up to 12 Ounces of Hand Sanitizer is Permitted Through Airport Security Checkpoints
- I Swear, If I Receive One More Message About How My Health and Safety are Their Top Priority…
- Four Reliable Resources For Travel and the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Just Shut Down the Entire Planet. Problem Solved?
- Stop the Hyperbole: Travel is NOT Banned Between the United States and Europe…
- Travel From Europe to the United States Suspended for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days
- My Unproven Secret to Not Contracting a Virus in Years
- Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Declared by World Health Organization
- Official Warning Issued Against Travel by Cruise Ship Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus by the Department of State of the United States
- Now the Entire Country of Italy is Under Quarantine
- 16 Million People Quarantined in Northern Italy
- Are Masks Effective Against 2019 Novel Coronavirus That People are Stealing Them?
- As Many as 46,000 People May Have Died in the United States Alone From…
- Lodging Companies Issue Travel Waivers and Elite Status Extensions 2020 Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update: More Airlines Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Airlines Which Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Should You Be Concerned About Coronavirus?
- Travel Alert February 2020: Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: Northern Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: South Korea Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- A Deal to Antarctica Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus — But Hurry
- Update: Do Not Travel to China Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Says United States Department of State
- Travel Alert January 2020: Hong Kong Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update January 2020: Additional Airlines Issue Travel Waivers for 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert January 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Affecting Air Travel
All photographs ©2016 and ©2017 by Brian Cohen.