Has Shutting Down The Economy Put Children Worldwide at Greater Risk? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
“Anything in the name of safety seems to be the slogan for society these days…
“…and now we face an enemy so small, a microscope is needed just to see it. So far, this enemy called 2019 Novel Coronavirus — which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV — has resulted in the human race wreaking havoc among itself to the point where multiple types of disasters are being created which will not only last for years before they are corrected and resolved; but some of the changes may very well become permanent.
“If you think I am exaggerating about those impending disasters, think about people who are unable to earn a living because they were furloughed for an indefinite period of time and have no savings as a safety net. Think about all of the supplies which have been hoarded that some of the people who really need them cannot find them to purchase anywhere. Think about people who are medically in need and may have to succumb to an illness because the help they require to survive becomes unavailable.”
Has Shutting Down The Economy Put Children Worldwide at Greater Risk? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
The paragraph you just read is what I wrote in this article which asks if we have become a society of wimps who are addicted to drama on Friday, March 20, 2020 out of concern that humanity might be putting itself at more risk with the aversion techniques than with the 2019 Novel Coronavirus itself — and although everything has unfortunately been coming to fruition in some form, it did not include the plights of millions of children worldwide.
#COVID19 has upended the lives of children worldwide.
With many children in jeopardy, I appeal to leaders at all levels to do everything in their power to cushion the impact of the pandemic – and protect our children.https://t.co/281j5I3eLV pic.twitter.com/MppCf5UlT8
— António Guterres (@antonioguterres) April 16, 2020
“Thankfully, children have so far been largely spared from the most severe symptoms of the disease. But their lives are being totally upended”, António Guterres — who is the current Secretary-General of the United Nations — said in his call for urgent action to support and protect our children around the world amid the universal crisis of the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic on Thursday, April 16, 2020. “With the global recession gathering pace, there could be hundreds of thousands additional child deaths in 2020.”
According to this article which was posted at the official Internet web site of the United Nations, the global crisis is putting young lives at risk in key areas that include education, food, safety and health. Virtually all students around the world are now out of school because of the pandemic. Almost 190 countries have imposed the closures of schools, which affects as many as 1.5 billion children and young people; and it leaves almost 310 million children worldwide who rely on school meals without their daily dose of nutrition.
“Meanwhile, hastily implemented lockdown measures risk disrupting food supply chains and local markets, posing a potentially grave threat to food access”, according to the aforementioned article, which claims that 60 percent of all children worldwide are living in countries that have implemented full or partial lockdowns. “As the crisis deepens, family stress-levels also are rising, and children confined at home are both victims and witnesses of domestic violence and abuse.”
Other statistics which were cited include — but are not exclusive to — the following:
- An increase in pregnancies in teenagers is possible due to girls dropping out of school as a result of those closures of schools.
- The United Nations Children’s Fund — which is also known as UNICEF — and partners reported in this article that with more children relying on technology for learning and socializing, the risk of online abuse and exploitation is increasing as well.
- Hospitals and health facilities which are overwhelmed with patients of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus means greater difficulty for children to access standard health care.
- Families out of work — or otherwise experiencing reduced incomes — are forced to cut back on essential health and food expenditures, which particularly affects children, women and breastfeeding mothers.
- Polio vaccination campaigns have ceased, thus setting back progress in eradicating the disease in its last two strongholds: Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Greater than 117 million children in 37 countries may miss out on receiving measles vaccines — which may possibly save their lives — as measles immunization campaigns in 24 countries have already been delayed; and more will be postponed due to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic.
If the statistics from the United Nations are indeed true, then that could mean that the overreaction to the current 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic may very well be significantly more dangerous than the virus itself — and those statistics only focus on children worldwide, as they do not take into account the myriad other issues which were caused by shutting down the economy that could lead to its own increasing death toll and other casualties.
This article is the latest in a series pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus — which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2 — pandemic in an effort to get the facts out with information derived from reliable sources…
…as well as attempt to maintain a reasoned and sensible ongoing discussion towards how to resolve this pandemic.
Other articles at The Gate which pertain to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus include:
- A List of Class Action Lawsuits Against Travel Companies April 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- More Flights in the Skies Now — But Not by Airplanes
- Are We TRULY All In This Together? 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Protesting is a Non-Essential Activity: Unconstitutional During 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic?
- Murder Allegedly Committed by Inmate Released Early Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Greater Than 117 Million Children at Risk of No Measles Vaccines Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Ebola Virus is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern
- No 7.7 Percent Raise For Marriott Chief Executive Officer in 2020
- I Feel Bad For…
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 89 Cents Per Gallon or Less April 11 2020 in the United States?
- Visitors Required to Complete Declaration When Traveling to This State
- 5 Ways to Prevent Yourself From Being Scammed During the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Latest Travel Advisory April 7 2020 From the Department of State of the United States
- Marriott Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Alaska Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- How to Save Up to 55 Percent on Restaurant Quality Steaks — Or Possibly More — But Hurry
- 8 Reasons to Be Careful About Buying Gift Cards Right Now…
- Yes, Marriott Insiders Forum HAS Shut Down and Moved
- United Airlines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Headspace Meditation and Mindfulness Trial Offer With World of Hyatt
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon or Less April 5 2020 in the United States?
- Delta Air Lines Extends Status and Benefits For Everyone: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Delta Air Lines Extends Ability to Rebook Up to 2 Years on Travel Impacted by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Cyber Security Scam Alert Issued by the World Health Organization
- Hyatt Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- Return to the United States NOW or Stay Abroad Indefinitely, Department of State Warns Citizens
- Face Covering? No Face Mask? Why Seemingly Conflicting Information From Two Reliable Sources
- No New Passport Applications Accepted Except for Emergency Situations Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Airlines are Obligated to Provide Prompt Refunds to Customers: Enforcement Notice 2020 From the Department of Transportation of the United States
- Should We Shut Down the World Every Three Years? Setting a Precedent With 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus is Not an April Fool’s Day Joke, Unfortunately
- Why You Should NOT Skip Credit Card Payments During the Pandemic
- Are Some Room Rates Not Being Reduced Because of Discrimination?
- What is the Difference Between Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sanitizing?
- One Way Rental Car Offers in the United States 2020 — 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for Less Than 90 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Get 10 Percent Additional Value When Exchanging for Future Travel Voucher With Qatar Airways
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 34: Coronavirus Edition
- Is Sheltering in Place Ordinance Unconstitutional? Man Sues Local Government
- One Illogically Irrational Aspect of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic is…
- Updated Policies of 23 Lodging Companies Worldwide: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- More States Where You Can Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon
- Do You Miss Dining on Airline Food? This Can Help…
- Do Not Read This Article. Take a Walk Instead. If You Can.
- Hilton Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 5 Reasons Why I Have Not Changed Anything Despite 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Revealing Parts of My Body to Help With Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- 2 Reliable Resources of Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Most Restaurants Now Offer Free Delivery. What About the Gratuity?
- Most Trusted Traveler Programs Enrollment Temporarily Suspended Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Have We Become a Society of Wimps Addicted to Drama?
- Four Overused Terms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Era
- Several Rental Car Companies Waive Young Adult Fees Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- National Park Service Suspends All Entrance Fees Due To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Passport Services Delayed Beyond 8 Weeks; Expedited Passport Services Suspended Indefinitely
- Global Level 4 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 30: Coronavirus Edition
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: An Updated Comprehensive List
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus: Should You Travel Within the United States?
- $250 Billion Bailout Requested by Lodging Companies
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: A Comprehensive List
- $50 Billion Bailout Requested by Airlines; Trump to “Back the Airlines 100%”
- Global Level 3 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- All Domestic Travel Banned For Personnel of Department of Defense of the United States
- March 15 2020: Checking Back In on 2019 Novel Coronavirus — My Opinions, If Anyone Cares
- Hotel Deploys Robots to Sanitize and Disinfect Rooms
- Ireland and the United Kingdom Added to Suspension for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days From Europe to the United States
- Change Fee and Cancellation Fee Policies and Waivers of 46 Airlines Due To 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Up to 12 Ounces of Hand Sanitizer is Permitted Through Airport Security Checkpoints
- I Swear, If I Receive One More Message About How My Health and Safety are Their Top Priority…
- Four Reliable Resources For Travel and the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Just Shut Down the Entire Planet. Problem Solved?
- Stop the Hyperbole: Travel is NOT Banned Between the United States and Europe…
- Travel From Europe to the United States Suspended for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days
- My Unproven Secret to Not Contracting a Virus in Years
- Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Declared by World Health Organization
- Official Warning Issued Against Travel by Cruise Ship Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus by the Department of State of the United States
- Now the Entire Country of Italy is Under Quarantine
- 16 Million People Quarantined in Northern Italy
- Are Masks Effective Against 2019 Novel Coronavirus That People are Stealing Them?
- As Many as 46,000 People May Have Died in the United States Alone From…
- Lodging Companies Issue Travel Waivers and Elite Status Extensions 2020 Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update: More Airlines Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Airlines Which Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Should You Be Concerned About Coronavirus?
- Travel Alert February 2020: Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: Northern Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: South Korea Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- A Deal to Antarctica Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus — But Hurry
- Update: Do Not Travel to China Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Says United States Department of State
- Travel Alert January 2020: Hong Kong Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update January 2020: Additional Airlines Issue Travel Waivers for 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert January 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Affecting Air Travel
Photograph ©2020 by Brian Cohen.