Updated Policies of 23 Lodging Companies Worldwide: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
Chances are excellent that your plans will be interrupted if you intend to travel just about anywhere around the world over the next few months; so you likely have little to no choice but to delay your travel due to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus — which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV — pandemic, as 23 lodging companies have issued updated policies pertaining to the changing or cancellation of reservations booked at their hotel and resort properties.
Updated Policies of 23 Lodging Companies Worldwide: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
Most of the 23 lodging companies listed in this article have either increased or improved the way their hotel and resort properties are cleaned, disinfected, and sanitized; and rather than list them, each of the links which are provided in this article to the updated policies pertaining to the changing or cancellation of reservations also include details about what they are doing to ensure that your stay is in the safest and cleanest environment available.
If applicable, updated policies are also included in the list for the frequent guest loyalty program associated with the appropriate lodging company — such as the extension of elite level status; or suspending the expiration dates of points in membership accounts.
For reservations which have been booked through a travel agent, online booking platform — such as Booking.com, Expedia, or Hotels.com as three of many examples — or other third parties, all of the lodging companies advise that you please contact them directly, as they have been advised of their change policies and cancellation policies; and you are further advised to refer to their terms and conditions.
Be aware that the wait times of the reservations call centers of any of the 23 lodging companies may be longer than usual, as other requests may be handled by members of the reservations team.
Accor Live Limitless
Global Policy for existing reservations for upcoming travel through Thursday, April 30, 2020: Guests who booked a non-flexible rate with Accor for travel after Sunday, March 1, 2020, may modify their reservation for future travel through Friday, April 30, 2021 without penalty by contacting the hotel directly. Please click here for a list of hotel and resort properties.
Note: changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
In regions affected by travel restrictions issued by governments, the following information applies for hotel and resort properties in:
- Europe and the United Kingdom Guests who booked a non-flexible rate with Accor for travel between Tuesday, March 17, 2020 and Wednesday, April 1, 2020, may cancel — or modify — their reservation and be refunded without penalty.
- Asia Pacific Guests scheduled to arrive prior to Thursday, April 30, 2020 may cancel — or modify — their reservation and be refunded without penalty.
- Africa and the Middle East Guests scheduled to arrive prior to Thursday, April 30, 2020 may cancel — or modify — their reservation and be refunded without penalty.
For guests who booked reservations through:
- Adagio https://www.adagio-city.com/gb/politique-liee-au-coronavirus.shtml
- Mama Shelter: https://www.mamashelter.com/en
All travelers are recommended to review guidance from the World Health Organization and follow any travel advice issued by their home countries.
Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences which were booked on or before Saturday, March 14, 2020 — with a check-in date between Saturday, March 14, 2020 and Tuesday, April 14, 2020 — are covered by the cancellation policy and may be canceled prior to arrival and checking in to the property. Guests who cancel will receive a full refund, and hosts can cancel without charge or impact to their Superhost status. Airbnb will refund all service fees for covered cancellations.
The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual to reservations made after Saturday, March 14, 2020, and to reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 with check-in dates after Tuesday, April 14, 2020. Cancellations submitted before Saturday, March 14, 2020 will be handled according to the extenuating circumstances coverage in effect at the time of submission (not the coverage described here).
If a reservation has already begun — or the check-in has passed — this extenuating circumstance does not apply.
Domestic reservations in mainland China are covered under the existing mainland China extenuating circumstances for COVID-19 statement. Luxe or Luxury Retreats reservations are covered under the Luxe Guest Refund Policy.
Anantara Hotels Resorts Spas
Anantara Hotels & Resorts offering extra flexibility and support for all new bookings made directly through Anantara.com, email, Live Chat, and our Customer Contact Centre between now and 30 April 2020 — which includes free change of date and change of destination up to 48 hours prior to arrival for stays on or before Saturday. October 31, 2020 and is subject to availability.
If you need to make or adjust a reservation, please contact via:
- Telephone: +66 2 365 9110
- E-mail message: firstname.lastname@example.org
Barceló Hotel Group
All changes are completely flexible for reservations with arrival dates up to Sunday, May 31, 2020 with Barceló Hotel Group. You will have the option to change your reservation booking date and enjoy your stay within the 12 months following the date of checking into the hotel or resort property.
For any changes or to manage your booking, please contact the call center by calling the customer service number in your country; or contact Barceló Hotel Group via its social media sites. Rest assured that we will give your request the satisfactory response it deserves as soon as possible.
If you booked your reservation through an online travel agency or a different travel agent, contact the provider for that booked reservation to receive information on its change policy.
Best Western Hotels & Resorts
- The policy applies to any reservation for any future arrival date.
- The policy applies to hotel and resort properties located in the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean.
- Guests may cancel at any time as long as cancellation occurs least 24 hours before arrival; and the reservation is cancelled on or before Thursday, April 30, 2020.
- Hotel and resort properties will waive all fees associated with the cancellation of the booking.
- The policy applies to all reservation booking channels.
- A more restrictive cancellation policy may apply to a limited number of high-demand dates at individual hotel and resort properties.
- Cancellation policies outside of the United States, Canada and the Caribbean may vary — please contact the hotel or resort property for information regarding cancellation policies outside this region
The enhanced cancellation policy of Choice Hotels during the 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic is of greater flexibility — which means you can arrive at the best decision for you and your family without worrying about fees or red tape — for guests:
- With existing individual reservations — including reservations which were booked directly with Choice Hotels that have already been paid in full in advance and normally could not be cancelled — changes or cancellations will be allowed without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival as long as the change or cancellation is implemented by Thursday, April 30, 2020. If you have a reservation which:
- Could be cancelled without penalty, you can modify the reservation yourself.
- Was booked directly with Choice Hotels which has already been paid in full in advance and normally could not be cancelled, you may now cancel the reservation yourself without penalty.
- Who book new individual reservations directly with Choice Hotels through Thursday, April 30, 2020, those reservations will be allowed to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival date. Modifications to reservations may be implemented here.
Choice Privileges Rewards Frequent Guest Loyalty Program Points
The expiration of Choice Privileges Rewards points has been paused until Sunday, May 31, 2020 — allowing members more time to redeem points and achieve greater flexibility when planning future travel.
As for earning and maintaining elite level status for 2021, opportunities will continue to be evaluated as the current situation with the 2019 Novel Coronavirus evolves; and you will be kept updated on all changes to Choice Privileges Rewards through its official Internet web site.
Drury Hotels offers you the flexibility to cancel your reservations until 12:00 noon the day prior to arrival — as well as special exceptions on reservations which were purchased in full in advance and normally cannot be refunded to accept cancellations for arrivals through Tuesday, June 30, 2020. Please allow up to ten days for a refund once you cancel a reservation at the official Internet web site of Drury Hotels.
Please call us at 1-800-DRURYINN if we can help.
A few changes to services have been implemented during the 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic:
- Breakfast will be served weekdays from 6:30 through 9:00 in the morning; and on weekends from 7:00 through 9:30 in the morning.
- Breakfast and 5:30 Kickback will be offered in a grab-and-go format. Please let members of the food and beverage team know if you have any questions.
- All guests are requested to enjoy food and beverage options in their rooms and to avoid congregating in public areas.
- Rooms with occupancy for more than one night by the same guest will only be cleaned upon request. Between guests, rooms will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.
Extended Stay America
If you currently have a reservation for arrival through Thursday, April 30, 2020 and are unable to travel, you can cancel your reservation without penalty. If you booked directly with Extended Stay America via its official Internet web site or reservations call center, please call 800-804-3724 for assistance.
- 2019 Elite Level Status Extension. All members whose 2019 elite status was scheduled to be downgraded on Tuesday, March 31, 2020 will automatically receive an extension through Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
- 2020 Elite Level Status Extension. Your 2020 elite status will automatically be extended through Thursday, March 31, 2022 — which means that you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver elite status level benefits to which you have access today for the next 24 months.
- Points Expiration Date Extension. The expiration of all points scheduled to expire between now and Thursday, December 31, 2020 will be paused until further notice.
- Extension of Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards. The expiration date of all Weekend Night Rewards which have not expired as of Wednesday, March 11, 2020 — and all Weekend Night Rewards which will have been issued until Sunday, August 30, 2020 — will automatically be extended through Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
Flexibility With Reservations Policies
If you need to adjust reservations which were booked via the official Internet web site of Hilton, mobile software application program, or call center, you can change your reservation or contact the Guest Assistance team at Hilton. If you need to adjust reservations which were booked through another travel site, please contact the personnel at that site for assistance.
Given the unique circumstances of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic, Hilton remains committed to offering you flexible options when booking your reservations by further adjusting its individual policies pertaining to booking reservations — even reservations which are described as “non-cancellable” or “Advanced Purchase” — which can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day:
- All existing reservations which are scheduled for arrival on or before Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
- Any new reservations which you book between today and Tuesday, June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date.
Hilton is proud to support the many communities impacted by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus around the world.
- Health Care and First Responders. Hilton is partnering with federal, state and local governments to provide housing for first responders and health care workers.
- Financial Assistance. The Hilton Effect Foundation has pledged financial assistance to organizations helping those impacted by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
- Donating Hilton Honors Points. Members of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program may now donate points to World Central Kitchen, Clean the World, Project Hope or Direct Relief. All donations of points will be converted into cash and sent directly to the organization.
Waiving Change and Cancellation Fees
Reservations can be changed or canceled up to 24 hours before a scheduled arrival on www.hyatt.com or via the World of Hyatt mobile software application program. Some group reservations are excepted. For full details — or to opt for the 10,000 World of Hyatt bonus point offer — please call one of the Global Contact Centers or send an e-mail message to email@example.com.
- Existing reservations for upcoming travel: All existing reservations which were booked before Friday, March 13, 2020 that are for arrivals between Saturday, March 14, 2020 and Thursday, April 30, 2020 may be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- New reservations for any future travel: Any reservation you book between Friday, March 13, 2020 and Thursday, April 30, 2020 — for any future arrival date — can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- Existing Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations for travel through June 2020: Special exceptions are in place for all Advance Purchase Rate reservations — which normally cannot be refunded — booked directly with Hyatt on or before Sunday, March 8, 2020 for arrivals before Tuesday, June 30, 2020. Guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may still opt — at least 24 hours before their stay — to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt bonus points compensation in lieu of both their stay and the offer above, if eligible.
World of Hyatt Frequent Guest Loyalty Program Update
Feedback from members of the World of Hyatt frequent guest loyalty program is being used to continually evaluate ways to flex the program. In the spirit of advancing care for members during these unique circumstances, the following modifications are being implemented to the World of Hyatt frequent guest loyalty program:
- Suspending Points Forfeiture: The forfeiture of points is suspended through Sunday, May 31, 2020. As a reminder, the general policy is that points do not expire; but they will be forfeited if a membership account is inactive for 24 consecutive months.
- Postponing Award Chart Changes: The introduction of off-peak and peak point redemptions — which was originally planned to be effective as of Sunday, March 22, 2020 — is postponed until 2021, which means that free-night redemptions will continue to be at standard rates for the rest of this year. Before off-peak and peak point redemptions are launched for stay dates in 2021 and beyond, advance notice will be provided.
- Evaluating Elite Tier Qualification and Benefit Extension: In February, World of Hyatt extended elite tier status and award expiration dates for qualifying members residing in Asia Pacific. Visit the World of Hyatt frequently asked questions about the 2019 Novel Coronavirus for details.
- Given the quickly evolving nature of the situation, it is simply too early to suggest revised elite tier status qualifications and award expiration beyond members in Asia Pacific. However, adjustments will need to be implemented; and they will be communicated as soon as possible.
InterContinental Hotels Group
Cancellation fees for existing and new reservations booked at all InterContinental Hotels Group hotel and resort properties globally for stays between Monday, March 9, 2020 and Thursday, April 30, 2020 are being waived, with further important information including reservations booked for groups and meetings:
- Hotel and resort properties are subject to local law in the markets in which they operate — therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances.
- Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
We continue to monitor the evolving situation and will be keeping this policy under review.
Bookings beyond April 30, 2020 – staying flexible:
We want to help you plan and book any future travel with confidence. So, for bookings beyond April 30, 2020 we want to remind you of the flexibility already built in to our rates and packages that allow our guests to amend travel plans as necessary.
Our Best Flexible Rate allows our guests to change or cancel their reservation one to two days prior to arrival, although some hotels may have a different time frame. Changing the date on any reservations through our Best Flexible Rate may result in different pricing and terms, but there is no fee for making changes.
To modify a reservation for stays beyond April 30, 2020 visit Manage Your Stay.
IHG Rewards Club status
We know that many of our IHG Rewards Club members are now thinking about how to manage their loyalty activity this year and we are committed to supporting our members to do that. Our members are our most loyal guests and we want to give each member more reasons to get away and stay with us – when the time is right for them.
Elite Membership Criteria:
With more constrained travel plans and a shorter time period during which members can earn elite tier status, we are:
- Reducing the Elite membership criteria required — nights or points — this year by 25 percent or more:
- For members in Greater China, click here for the latest information on IHG Reward Club status.
- With this change, members can continue to earn elite membership status this year and enjoy all the IHG Rewards Club benefits this brings through 2020 and into 2021. This change will be reflected in membership accounts in the coming weeks.
Loews Hotels & Company
Loews Hotels & Company is currently waiving cancellation fees for existing and new individual transient reservations for stays through and including Sunday, May 31, 2020, which includes any reservations that were paid in full in advance and normally cannot be refunded.
For groups and meeting inquiries, please contact the hotel or resort property at which your meeting is to occur.
Marriott International, Incorporated
For all Marriott International hotel and resort properties worldwide, the following policies are being implemented for guests — including reservations with rates already paid in advance which are typically more restrictive:
- With existing reservations for any future arrival date full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival will be allowed as long as the change or cancellation is implemented by Thursday, April 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- Booking new reservations for any future arrival date through Thursday, April 30, 2020, the reservation will be allowed to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date. Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
Meliá Hotels & Resorts International
A list of the closures of hotel and resort properties.
As of March 2, 2020, Meliá Hotels International offers customers:
- For individual bookings made from March 2 to March 31, 2020:
- Guests can cancel the booking up to 24 hours before the check-in date without any cancellation fee or penalty. Check specific conditions for each booking as some hotels may require earlier cancellations to avoid cancellation fees and penalties.
- For individual bookings made before March 2, 2020 for arrivals until Thursday, April 30, 2020, we offer 100% flexibility to postpone your reservation up to 24 hours before arrival, choosing a later date until March 26, 2021, in which the reserved hotel offers the same terms and conditions or agreeing to pay a possible difference in rate without any management fee.
- Customers who plan to travel from Greater China and South Korea to any international Meliá hotel destination may modify and cancel their booking for free for stays between January 21 and March 31, 2020, both inclusive.
- Regardless of the date on which the group was booked, to all those groups with arrival from the date of this statement and until next Thursday, April 30, 2020, we offer 100% flexibility to change the dates until March 2021, without management fee.
- If the booked hotel is itself quarantined during the guest’s stay, the hotel will abate or return any payments the guest would otherwise have to make in the proportion corresponding to the date on which quarantine is ordered.
- If we are forced to close the booked hotel for the dates booked, we will offer alternative accommodation of the same or superior quality in another of our hotels. If this is not possible, we will allow guests modify the bookings once the hotel affected is again operative.
- We are aware that the COVID-19 pandemic and the response from the government and health authorities are constantly changing and developing. Please note that the criteria in this document are therefore subject to change over time.
- Meliá will extend the current MeliáRewards membership tier for one year for Platinum, Gold and Silver members whose tier review is scheduled for between March 1, 2020 (from February 1, 2020 for members from Greater China) and December 31, 2020. The membership tier will remain unchanged even for those members who do not meet the minimum stays, nights or points requirement to remain in their tier. In consequence, for example, tier reviews that were due on March 1, 2020, will now be carried out on March 1, 2021.
Millennium Hotels & Resorts
- All Millennium Hotels and Resorts worldwide will allow guests who have made bookings from or to Greater China, South Korea, Japan, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Iran and UAE for stays before Thursday, April 30, 2020, to modify their reservations free of charge or receive a full refund for cancellation, where applicable. This is valid for bookings made directly with the hotel, from our brand website (www.millenniumhotels.com) or via our call centre. Please contact the hotel directly to modify or cancel your reservations.
- For new reservations, we recognise the need for flexibility in your travel plans as well. Our flexible rates and special rates will now allow you to cancel up to three days prior to your arrival. This is valid for bookings made directly with the hotel, from our brand website (www.millenniumhotels.com).
- All Millennium Hotels and Resorts worldwide will allow groups from Greater China, South Korea, Japan, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Iran and UAE for stays before Thursday, April 30, 2020, to modify their reservations free of charge, as long as the new booking takes place within 12 months from original booking date. A rate supplement may apply depending on the new dates. Exceptions will be taken care of on a case-by-case basis.
Cancellation penalties for all reservations are being waived through April of 2020. If you need to cancel your reservation — even as late as the day of arrival — do so at the official Internet web site of Motel 6, at its reservation call center at 1-800-899-9841 if you require assistance, or directly with the hotel property. Without notification, the applicable no-show fees may be charged.
NH Hotel Group
NH Hotel Group has been offering — and will continue to offer — flexible terms and conditions with its Best Available Rate…
…however — due to the uncertainty of the situation pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus — flexibility is being provided with all reservations.
Oberoi Hotels & Resorts
Oberoi Hotels & Resorts is entirely flexible with all new reservations and has instituted a policy that allows you to cancel your reservation at any time.
You may choose to cancel any reservations which are currently being held for travel dates through Thursday, April 30, 2020 with no penalties. If you have paid a deposit for your reservation in advance, you may choose to either hold them for future travel until Thursday, December 31, 2020; or ask for a refund.
Omni Hotels & Resorts
For reservations with stay dates through Thursday, April 30, 2020, cancellation fees for existing and new individual reservations at all Omni Hotels & Resorts hotel and resort properties are being waived.
Due to the unprecedented implications COVID-19 has had on the hospitality industry, Omni Hotels & Resorts has made the very difficult decision to temporarily suspend operations at ten Omni properties:
- Effective Monday, March 23, 2020, the following hotel and resort properties have suspended operations to guests:
- Omni San Francisco Hotel
- Omni Berkshire Place
- Omni Providence Hotel
- Omni Chicago Hotel
- Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
- Hotel Omni Mont-Royal
- Omni William Penn
- Effective Tuesday, March 24, 2020, the Omni Houston Hotel at Westside has suspended operations to guests.
- Effective Thursday, March 26, 2020, the following hotel and resort properties have suspended operations to guests:
- Omni Parker House
- Omni Shoreham Hotel
- Operations are anticipated to resume on Monday, June 1, 2020; however, a reassessment will occur each week and the best decision will be implemented based on business demands.
We are constantly updating our global cancellation policy to reflect the most recent developments related to the COVID-19 and to offer our guests as much flexibility and planning comfort as possible.
– We allow free modifications or free cancellations for all existing and new reservations (in all countries and all RHG hotels worldwide) for stays until Thursday, April 30, 2020
– Please note that any modification to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate difference
– For reservations with stays after Thursday, April 30, 2020, our normal cancellation policy applies
Leisure Groups, Business Groups and Meeting & Events:
– We allow free cancellations for China, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Italy, Belgium, Spain, France and U.S. inbound and outbound business for arrivals/meetings & events up to and including Thursday, April 30, 2020
– This also applies to cancellations resulting from government travel and meeting restrictions for the duration of the respective measurement. This includes, but not limited to, the travel suspension from the European Union to the United States and the visa suspension for India
– In all other instances, our hotel teams will work directly with you to evaluate changes needed on a case-by-case basis
– For arrivals/meetings & events after Thursday, April 30, 2020, our normal cancellation policy applies
Our commitment to our loyalty program members
As COVID-19 affects travel plans around the world, we believe our Radisson Rewards members deserve to use the points that they have acquired and should not be penalized due to circumstances out of their control. As a result, Radisson Hotels is suspending it’s point expiration policy by 6 months, effective March 1, 2020. We have also extended the elite status of our members through February 2022, for those that would have expired February 2021. In addition, e-certs earned using the Radisson Reward Visa card, that are scheduled to expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020, can be redeemed through June 30, 2021.
Red Roof is providing additional flexibility in its cancellation policies. For stays through Thursday, April 30, 2020, cancellation fees will be waived at all Red Roof hotels and any guest wishing to cancel a pre-paid, Advance Purchase reservation, will receive a full refund. Guests who booked on redroof.com, through our Contact Center, or with a Red Roof hotel directly can call 1-800-RED-ROOF to cancel their reservation.
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
We have enhanced our policies as follows:
- Guests traveling with new or existing direct bookings for stays in any of our hotels through May 31, 2020 will have their cancellation or change penalties waived if the request is received at least 24 hours (or less if permitted by the hotel’s policy) prior to arrival.
- Guests who are prohibited from traveling to their booked hotel under applicable law will have their cancellation or change penalties waived on direct bookings.
- For new or existing direct bookings with arrivals after May 31, 2020, all of our properties are required to accommodate non-cancellable rate reservation changes if the request is received at least 48 hours prior to arrival and the same number of room nights or more are booked for a future stay.
- We are pausing the expiration of any Wyndham Rewards points scheduled to expire between now and May 31, 2020 and have extended current Wyndham Rewards Member Levels (status) for all members in the Greater China and Southeast Asia Pacific Rim regions through the end of 2021.
- We are committed to, and actively exploring, additional steps that we can take to help all Wyndham Rewards members globally, which will include relaxed Member Level earning requirements, among other options. Due to rapidly evolving circumstances, it’s too soon to share specifics, however, we will do so as soon as possible.
The cancellation policy of Yotel has been amended as follows, as anyone arriving from:
- Friday, March 20, 2020 through Monday, May 4, 2020 will be able to cancel any of their booked reservations without incurring cancellation fees, which includes rates that normally cannot be refunded.
- Tuesday, May 5, 2020 onward, the standard cancellation policies apply.
If any information is missing from this comprehensive listing, please contact me about it so that I may include it — or leave a message in the Comments section below.
In the meantime, if you are traveling, be sure to contact your lodging provider for the latest information pertaining to your travels — and please: travel safely.
Photograph ©2015 by Brian Cohen.