What is the Difference Between Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sanitizing?
You may have seen the assurances of countless companies attempting to strengthen your trust in patronizing them during the 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic by expressing in detail how your health and safety is their top priority…
What is the Difference Between Cleaning, Disinfecting, and Sanitizing?
…and you might have even tried to ensure that the environment in which you live while isolating yourself in your home is as free of harmful microbes as possible — but what exactly is the difference between cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing? Even more important is which process is best for you; and what is the proper way to implement each method?
- Cleaning removes germs, dirt, and impurities from surfaces or objects. Cleaning works by using soap — or detergent — and water to physically remove germs from surfaces. Although this process does not necessarily kill germs, cleaning reduces the amount of germs and the risk of spreading infection by removing those germs.
- Disinfecting kills germs on surfaces or objects by the use of chemicals. Although this process does not necessarily clean dirty surfaces or remove germs, disinfecting can further lower the risk of spreading infection by killing germs on a surface after cleaning.
- Sanitizing lowers the number of germs on surfaces or objects to a safe level, as judged by public health standards or requirements. This process works by either cleaning or disinfecting surfaces or objects to lower the risk of spreading infection.
Remember that washing your hands thoroughly and properly is equally as — if not more — important as cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing the environment in which you live, work, and breathe in order to stave off an infection by a virus or other microbe.
Be sure not to overdo the cleaning, disinfecting, or sanitizing process. That can potentially reduce the effectiveness of each process; and you want to ensure that whatever products are used in each process are used properly to avoid potential danger.
This article is the latest in a series pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus — which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2 — pandemic in an effort to get the facts out with information derived from reliable sources…
…as well as attempt to maintain a reasoned and sensible ongoing discussion towards how to resolve this pandemic.
Other articles at The Gate which pertain to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus include:
- One Way Rental Car Offers in the United States 2020 — 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for Less Than 90 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Get 10 Percent Additional Value When Exchanging for Future Travel Voucher With Qatar Airways
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 34: Coronavirus Edition
- Is Sheltering in Place Ordinance Unconstitutional? Man Sues Local Government
- One Illogically Irrational Aspect of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic is…
- Updated Policies of 23 Lodging Companies Worldwide: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- More States Where You Can Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon
- Do You Miss Dining on Airline Food? This Can Help…
- Do Not Read This Article. Take a Walk Instead. If You Can.
- Hilton Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
- 5 Reasons Why I Have Not Changed Anything Despite 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Revealing Parts of My Body to Help With Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- 2 Reliable Resources of Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Most Restaurants Now Offer Free Delivery. What About the Gratuity?
- Most Trusted Traveler Programs Enrollment Temporarily Suspended Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Where Can You Find Gasoline for 99 Cents Per Gallon in the United States?
- Have We Become a Society of Wimps Addicted to Drama?
- Four Overused Terms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Era
- Several Rental Car Companies Waive Young Adult Fees Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- National Park Service Suspends All Entrance Fees Due To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Passport Services Delayed Beyond 8 Weeks; Expedited Passport Services Suspended Indefinitely
- Global Level 4 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- What is Wrong With This Photograph? Part 30: Coronavirus Edition
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: An Updated Comprehensive List
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus: Should You Travel Within the United States?
- $250 Billion Bailout Requested by Lodging Companies
- Countries With Travel Entry Restrictions Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus: A Comprehensive List
- $50 Billion Bailout Requested by Airlines; Trump to “Back the Airlines 100%”
- Global Level 3 Health Advisory Issued by Department of State of the United States
- All Domestic Travel Banned For Personnel of Department of Defense of the United States
- March 15 2020: Checking Back In on 2019 Novel Coronavirus — My Opinions, If Anyone Cares
- Hotel Deploys Robots to Sanitize and Disinfect Rooms
- Ireland and the United Kingdom Added to Suspension for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days From Europe to the United States
- Change Fee and Cancellation Fee Policies and Waivers of 46 Airlines Due To 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Up to 12 Ounces of Hand Sanitizer is Permitted Through Airport Security Checkpoints
- I Swear, If I Receive One More Message About How My Health and Safety are Their Top Priority…
- Four Reliable Resources For Travel and the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Just Shut Down the Entire Planet. Problem Solved?
- Stop the Hyperbole: Travel is NOT Banned Between the United States and Europe…
- Travel From Europe to the United States Suspended for Most Foreign Nationals For 30 Days
- My Unproven Secret to Not Contracting a Virus in Years
- Pandemic of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Declared by World Health Organization
- Official Warning Issued Against Travel by Cruise Ship Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus by the Department of State of the United States
- Now the Entire Country of Italy is Under Quarantine
- 16 Million People Quarantined in Northern Italy
- Are Masks Effective Against 2019 Novel Coronavirus That People are Stealing Them?
- As Many as 46,000 People May Have Died in the United States Alone From…
- Lodging Companies Issue Travel Waivers and Elite Status Extensions 2020 Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update: More Airlines Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Airlines Which Suspended Change and Cancellation Fees 2020 Due To Coronavirus
- Should You Be Concerned About Coronavirus?
- Travel Alert February 2020: Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: Northern Italy Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert February 2020: South Korea Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- A Deal to Antarctica Because of 2019 Novel Coronavirus — But Hurry
- Update: Do Not Travel to China Due to 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Says United States Department of State
- Travel Alert January 2020: Hong Kong Now Affected by 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Update January 2020: Additional Airlines Issue Travel Waivers for 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- Travel Alert January 2020: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Affecting Air Travel
Photograph ©2016 by Brian Cohen.